Fascia boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, I wanted to ask about fascia boards. The rafters are 150mm at 22° giving a front of about 162mm. The fascia must be 350mm, 18mm, uPVC.

Do I need a plywood board to support the uPVC fascia board?

PS: please ignore, I have looked up a few photos

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The fascia is larger than usual as a "stylistic" element - practically, to lower the u/e distance to the ground.

But now I am looking at it, it may look ugly, a large white board, I may indeed go for 250mm fascia.

Yes it is a warm roof (insulation between and under rafters), but I am not sure how this relates to the size of the fascia ?

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but warm roof has the insulation on top of the rafters, not in between and under as you have.

18mm thickness can be pinned directly.
Personally I prefer to use wood first.

350mm board is very chunky fascia.
last one I just did was 30° With 175mm board, looked good.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Do I need a plywood board to support the uPVC fascia board?

No, the L shaped fascia pins (with stainless steel pins, plastic capped) directly onto the ends of the rafters. The soffit, rests on the narrow bottom ledge of the fascia, between that and a U channel fixed to the wall. Vents need to be fixed at regular intervals along the soffit.

It's not a warm roof you have .
It will need venting , you can get slotted soffit for this rather than lots of round holes or over fascia vent .

Yes I was about to ask, is there an advantage to over fascia vent, other than aesthetics so you do not see the grills from below?

Yes I was about to ask, is there an advantage to over fascia vent, other than aesthetics so you do not see the grills from below?
No. Covered by the gutter. Very discreet. We use them all the time. You just need to factor in the OFV's (25mm or so) when choosing the fascia height in relation to the first tile kick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back