fitting fascia boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to cut and fit my fascia boards soon - [single story front extension] - and I'm wondering about the exact dimensions.

I'm going to be using 18mm structural fascias, over fascia vents, and felt support trays.

The vertical cuts on my rafter feet are 9cm. My battens are 2cm thick, so if I were to cut my fascias to 11cm, and then the over fascia vents added another 2cm, my tiles would have around 2cm extra uplift on the eaves course. Does this sound about right for a 267mm high tile with 90mm headlap?

Also - am I mad to use over fascia vents rather than round vents set into the soffits?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
That's a good point!

Re my original question, having spent some time digging around, I suspect that having the last tile at a shallower pitch is optional, so I won't bother.

Gary

I wouldnt bother with either the round vents or the over fascia vent , just buy vented soffits !

Sorry regency, have to disagree with you there. OFV's are fairly cheap, vented soffit is quite pricey, plus you can downsize your fascia by an inch due to the height of the vent saving a little bit of money.

Continual soffit vents get dirty and 'cobwebby' due to the flow of air. The whole point of doing all this in PVCu is to keep it as low maintenance as possible. :)

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt bother with either the round vents or the over fascia vent , just buy vented soffits !

Sorry regency, have to disagree with you there. OFV's are fairly cheap, vented soffit is quite pricey, plus you can downsize your fascia by an inch due to the height of the vent saving a little bit of money.

Continual soffit vents get dirty and 'cobwebby' due to the flow of air. The whole point of doing all this in PVCu is to keep it as low maintenance as possible. :)
I agree with you 100%,the idea is fit and forget or so they say.

Overfascia vents every time for me.

You require about 40 or 50mm upstand to kick the first tile, so allow about 25mm for the overfascia vent and work from there.

Soffit vents are rubbish.

Cant say ive ever had a problem using vented soffits , in fact i did my own house around 5 years ago and the ventilation gaps are still wide open and performing well.

Individual round soffit vents are hideous looking , very 1980,s.

Over fascia vent goes very brittle after a period of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back