Fast drip from Central Heating Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The expansion tank in the loft continually pushes water out the overflow when the central heating is on. That means we have a steady stream of water running down the roof.

I have drained and refilled the system several times over the summer to fix leaks, valves etc. Each time I re-filled and tested it, I used to believe that this was just the expansion tank doing its job, allowing the water in the system to expand and overflow.

Now this is still happening, weeks after I last re-filled the system. The ball valve is certainly not leaking - the valve is completely dry and the level in the expansion tank is well below the overflow when the central heating is off.

However, a few minutes after I turn the central heating on, the overflow starts to drip again and continues for as long as the central heating is running.

I am starting to run ot of ideas - is there something wrong with the boiler ?

The system works fine with just the hot water on, no problem at all.

Help please - has anyone got any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
sounds as though you system may be piped wrong and pumping water up the cold feed

Type in 'pumping over' and 'blocked feed' as seperate searches..there's loads of advice there... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back