fastening trusses to exsiting building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got the roof trusses delivered for a 4.4x 3.3 2 storey extension which is ajoined to the side of the existing house so the truss follows the same roof line therefore is flush to the outer wall. How is the truss tied to the existing wall i have bolted bigger timbers to the wall before but the truss is only 3 inches deep and im afraid that drilling a hole in the truss will weaken it as they are designed using minimum material any suggestions would be appriciated. rich

Sponsored Links
trusses need to be fixed to each other, to the wall plate, and to an existing roof (where applicable) via the roofing material, i.e. tile lathe, ply etc.

On mine, the "additional " roof timbers are bolted to the main roof timbers at their top, and spiked to the wall plates at the bottom. In my case the "additional" roof is carpenter-built not trussed, so it's also bolted to the wall as plenty thick enough.

cheers yes fixing to each other and wall plate is simple but to fix to existing parrallel roof trusses would mean demolishing the top of the existing gable wall or am i picturing what u mean wrongly

Sponsored Links
if the extended roof runs in line with the existing roof, then yes, you will need to remove a few courses of bricks to expose the roof timbers. you will also have to strip back some tiles and lathe, enough to lap your felt and allow your new lathes to carry onto the existing roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back