Fasting..

I

imamartian

why not.... i've not had a post deleting for about 48 hours now and i'm starting to crave a deletion... but seriously in respect of Coljacks thread, don't want to hijack that !

but what is fasting all about... especially ramadan.. fasting through daylight hours? gorging through the night? surely daylight is a consequence of physically sitting on this rock spinning near a star? why would a god appeciate an insignificant creature starving itself whilst it can see starlight (or specifically SUNlight)?

And contrary to my opening, it's not a flippant attempt to stir up anything religious.... tell me about Christian/Jewish/Jehova fasting....??????

Sponsored Links
We all fast. And when we get up in the morning we break that fast breakfast. ;)

Sponsored Links
I wonder if people loose weight from it?

I've just remembered a dieting joke...

An Irishman was very overweight, and so his doctor put him on a diet.

"I want you to eat regularly for 2 days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for 2 weeks. The next time I see you, you should have lost at least 5 pounds.

When the Irishman returned, he shocked the doctor by having lost nearly 60lbs!

"Why, that's amazing!" the doctor said, "Did you follow my instructions?"

The Irishman nodded..."I'll tell you though, by jaesuz, I t'aut I were going to drop dead on dat 3rd day."

"From the hunger, you mean?" asked the doctor.

"No, from all the bloody skippin" :eek:

what you on about? i have to be patient and forgive..... oh you mean on the one way street? ;)

Occasionally being hungry, purging and fasting is good for your health.

The backward thinking, obese lard munchers in the western world have forgotten what a 'healthy' diet is.

It is not so much as to starve yourself to appease God but to refrain from being a greedy, overweight glutton.

You have to ask yourself why are so many morons overweight. :rolleyes:

Occasionally being hungry, purging and fasting is good for your health.

The backward thinking, obese lard munchers in the western world have forgotten what a 'healthy' diet is.

It is not so much as to starve yourself to appease God but to refrain from being a greedy, overweight glutton.

You have to ask yourself why are so many morons overweight. :rolleyes:

but surely fasting doesn't feature in ANY mainstream fitness/health/wellbeing plan? it's a religious notion surely? The west is blighted by greed, excessive fat, gluttony, too large GDP etc...?

People will always cherry-pick their interpretation of the written scriptures and manipulate them to suit.

For example radical muslims seek out the holy 'jehad' as a weapon against the west, when the original writings are a lot more tame.

To fast does not mean to starve yourself but to be disciplined and eat when only necessary or when your body needs food.

The teachings of the early scribes sought only to educate the savages.:cool: :p

And i hate seriously fat people, too fat to work, just greedy, selfish, make their children that way.

off topic, sorry

Salam (peace)...

....sorry for late reply, just been at the Mosque all evening doing our nightly ritual burning of American flags and effergies of people who have annoyed us. I burnt an effergy of my old plumbing lecturer, the damned infidel.

Anyway why do we fast? Well in all seriousness there are several reasons. The main reason, believe it or not, is that its a form of worship. The idea is when you are not indulging in worldly matters i.e. eating, in theory this allows you to then focus on prayer and worshipping god/Allah. However for some bizarre reason, when i'm not eating, and havent done so for most of the day, the last thing on my mind is god. In fact the only thing i seem to think about is food. This fasting idea making you pray more is actually a really bad idea! :eek:

On top of this, its to help you appreciate what you have, the food, the easy access to water etc. I will be the first to admit that when you are fasting all day, you do appreciate how lucky we are living here in the west with food so easily available, and not really having to worry about where the next meal is going to come from.

...excuse me a sec, i've forgotten something....

(goes into Kitchen........unties wife from Kitchen sink)

Naz: "Sorry dear, totally forgot i'd tied you to the sink...again....anyway make me my evening feast and hurry up, i've got friends coming around later.....dont forget to wear your Burqa when they pop round"

Sorry lads.....right, where was i? OK so you say we gorge ourselves at night, well this shouldnt be the case. Of course many Muslims do over eat, pig out etc (in a none piggy way of course, we cannot eat pork). However this goes against the true spirit and meaning of Ramadan. You should only eat drink enough to satisfy your hunger and thirst. Many Muslims sadly have left their true faith and adopted a cultural form of the religion, where a month of difficulty has actually become a month of partying. But if you look at the true Muslims, the non-exploding, non-wife beating, non-cultural Muslims, the ones who follow the true teachings of the faith, you will find them to be very humble, moderate, devout and caring individuals who fast and conduct themselves in the way a true Muslim should. . There's plenty about, most are in this category, but you would not think it reading The Sun or the Daily Mail.

Now the reason we fast during the day is because this is when most of us are awake, and when we therefore will feel the affects of this fast. Fasting is supposed to be a trial, a form of hardship but something which is supposed to increase your level of devotion to your faith and your generosity towards those less well off. Most Muslims will donate generously to charity during Ramadan. Some however will donate generously to the fat kebab shop owner, in exchange for a large kebab and giant plate of chips.

As for losing weight, some lose weight, some gain weight. It all depends on how you eat in the evening.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

...actually come to think of it, what if our (Muslim) God is not the real God. It means i have been praying to the wrong God my entire life. And if thats the case, i'm just p!ssing God off more and more every day! Oh darn! :eek:

I'm not into the religious mumbo jumbo that goes on, believe in what you believe.

But I watched a programme on TV last night regarding sleep disorders. And it was 'suggested', not yet medically proven, that when your body clock is out of sync, ie on long haul flights, that fasting for a certain period resets it, and you return to your normal sleep pattern virtually immediately.

Now I have a lot of problems with sleep, and will often stay awake for 36+ hours in a go, or miss a day, and blackout curtains in the bedroom, it's still to light for me. But if I go to bed at 7am, and purge, and not eat, then I am far more refreshed the following day, and sleep normally.

Although I tend to eat cereal at night, or might eat carbs in the morning, as my bodyclock has long been scrambled. Due to working 6-2, 2-11, then the next day 6-2 again, then lates again, in a driving job. Was like a zombie on days off. I believe pilots/airline staff experience the same.

So my limited Koran experience, would be that it purges the body, and resets it, as this programme seems to show. The two guys were tested before and after. And isn't religion about being pure?

I'm 'pretty' sure that all Muslims, don't abide by this rule, or are die hard, admit it, we did go over to a foreign country (every foreign country) in the crusades, and 'forced' Christianity upon people, let people believe in what they want to. It was Stephen Hawking that said God in any form didn't exist.not me. Send your complaints to him. Have you read his stuff? It's BORING!

hi ironnaz, i enjoyed your response so much i got it twice.... ;)

and i like you humour.... but i really can't equate to the ethic of that or any other religion... you can't live your whole life worrying about what happens when you die.... because even if you're condemned to a future of burning and stuff... you can't feel it now... and there'll be plenty of people to share it with you...

And there is nothing you can do as a living human to convince a god to make you life any better... please prove me wrong if you can !!!

Sponsored Links
Back