Fault Stanley cooker burners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok having a bit of a tough time with this cooker. The cooker side is not firing half the time I fire it up,there is a good spark on it, new nozzle, the correct oil pressure, and the motor works fine.

The second burner does not work at all. The motor works fine, good spark, and there is pressure when I hold a magnet to the solenoid stem, and cause it to fire. I thought it would be the solenoid, but there is no pull when I put a screwdriver in the solenoid coil, and I replaced the solenoid to try and still not working. I disconnected the solenoid coil from the plug in cable to it, and connected my multimeter to the live and neutral on the plug that connects to the solenoid, and there was no power through the cable when it tried to fire. What would cause no power to the solenoid coil?

I hope you can give me some ideas. Never worked on a Stanley cooker before, and don't like the idea of all the parts being wired in to a plug which travels to the control box. Worried there is a fault there, and I don't know how to find out where if there is a fault with the wiring connecting the burner parts to the control box. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Right here we go the power cmes from the control box take off the box check the wires are connected,make sure the screws are tight.if they are then check wires with a meter.what you are looking for is the integrity of the wire if it's gone you need new wire. Best of luck Bob

Thank you. Any idea about the cooker burner that fires only half the time? It has a good spark, oil pressure is correct. Thank you again.

Sponsored Links
Photoelectric cell didn't get a mention. There is a measurement that can be made during flame time.

If you disconnect photo cell and burner fires for four secs then goes out it's faulty but as has been said a magnet held on pump stem keeps burner firing,so maybe NOT photo cell.

Is it a fanned flue model? If so and the fan is not working or the pressure switch has failed then this disables the solenoid. If you suspect acontrol box, then swap them over to see if it makes a difference. You can also check photocells this way.

I have read through the booklet, it is a Stanley Brandon oil fired cooker with a ecoflam burner, it does not show anything in the booklet about a fan, but the flue exits out of the back of the cooker directly to the outside, it does not have a flue, or chimney rising vertically like usual. Does that sound like a fan flued model, where would the fan be located?
By the way I am waiting to pick up a control box tomorrow, so have still not been back out at it. The cooker side has went from being temperamental to not working at all now. The cooker burner has the correct oil pressure, and good spark, but does not light. I started another thread, so people would not get confused between the central heating burner symptoms and cooker burner symptoms. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Yes it was fan flued model. The air pressure switch was blocked with soot. Good call oil head. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back