Faulty electrics - A simple fix ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just a quick question. We had our flat rewired about 3 months ago. When this was done the electicians installed a large light in the lounge. Its one with 12 G4 bulbs and a large transormer in the base of it. At first everytime the light was switched on it would trip out the circuit board. You would have to reset the circuit and try again, eventually this stopped happening and all was well. However, one of the 12 arms of the light was faulty and wouldnt work, so I took down the old one and replaced it with the new one. WHen i tuned the electricity back on the light switch was on and the light came on and was working ok. Then i turned the light off and then back on this tripped the circuit board again. I then tried to switch the circuit board back on and now that whole lighting circuit, which is lunge hall and bathroom will not work. No of the lights will function. IS there a simple fuse with these new circuit boards I can replace as i cant see one. sorry dont have a pic and will have to call out the sparky but was just wondering if it was something simple.

Sorry for the essay and thanks in advance if anybody atually reads this or replies !

Hugh

Sponsored Links
you mention circuit board,by this i assume you mean the mcb(circuit breaker) in the consumer unit?
some of these lights have a tendancy to trip circuit breakers due to the inrush on the transformer when switched on,normally cured by fitting a different mcb in the board with a different tripping curve
its a job for a sparky really,not sure why all your other lights are off,if the breaker is on then it could be knackered,again you need a spark to test it

The MCB is probably knackered cos of all the tripping. Out of interest, what is the nature of this light? Is it one of those with metal conductive arms? Did the arms ever touch each other? It should never trip an MCB during normal operation - there is something wrong with it. The manufacturer should pay for the spark to change the MCB, and give you money back for the light - but things rarely work like this . . .

Sponsored Links
as said they will trip some breakers due to the transformer,i fitted one for a mate and couldnt understand why it kept taking out the breaker,he took the light back and got another,fitted it and same problem,had to change the breaker to a less sensitive tripping curve c type and all was cured

Perhaps you ought to ask the retailer why they are selling products that are clearly unsuitable for use on standard domestic wiring in Britain? Whilst it is true that this light would probably work fine on a C6 or B10 breaker, you shouldnt have to change the wiring of a home to accomodate a "normal" ceiling light.

And i can also see a great many other less informed DIYers changing B6 breakers willy-nilly for B16s and B32s because they wont trip on startup . . . not knowing what they are actually doing . . .

One solution: Put the light on an upstairs ring main on a 5A FCU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back