Faulty light fixture in new build flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I moved into a new build flat about a year ago. About 2 months ago the light in my bedroom blew. I changed the bulb twice but it still doesn't work. I did look at the wiring in the ceiling and the socket quickly and wires appear to be connected properly but I have no clue as to why it work work.

Can anyone help?
Thanks, :(

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It was called Silvana or something like that. Not a name I recognised. It was a 13W 4 pin bulb. I replaced it with a Phillips 13W 4 pin bulb but it still doesn't work.

That kind of lamp requires a fitting which contains some electronics. Assuming that there are other lights on the same circuit which are still working, I'd assume that the fitting itself is shafted.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the hallway lights are exactly the same lightbulb - 4pin bulbs, and they work. Do I have to then find exactly the same lightbulb? It was hard enough finding the Philips one!

Swap a lamp from the working one to the non working one and see what happens, it lights all good, need exact same lamp , it does not light = goosed light fitting

Nick

Thanks Nick.

Well it looks like the light fitting is faulty as the tried the same brand lightbulb and it still didn't work. I'll have get someone to fix it.

should be simple enough to do it..

get a new pendant ( normal BC one if you like, sod the planet.. ;) )

unscrew the ceiling rose cover ( with the power off ) , unscrew the brown and blue wire of the pendant from the celing rose, put the new pendent back in the same place.. ( dicasrding the ceiling rose bit of it.. ).

If you are doing any work on the ceiling rose, make sure you isolate the power at your consumer unit.

Just switching off at the light switch will leave part of the ceiling rose still live.

you don't know that. being a new build, it may be "loop in at the switch"..

but you are of course right, and I should have been clearer..

always isolate at the MAIN SWITCH when doing electrical work, switching just the breaker off will not disconnect the neutral and feedback can hurt as much as a live wire can..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back