faulty mains socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a faulty mains socket which is on a spur. I think the spur is from the main kitchen ring but it is difficult to be certain without removing the kitchen units and worktop (not keen to do this!).

There is no current at the socket at all. All other appliances/outlets are working fine on the kitchen power ring and all mcb's are switched on.

I have tried replacing the socket unit itself but this has not helped. What else can I try (safely) to identify the fault?

Also - as a second question - the socket itself is under the kitchen sink and is only used to plug in the gas boiler. Should the gas boiler be connected through a normal mains plug? - I appreciate that it is only using a small current for the boiler control but this still seems a little strange to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Try looking for a switch above the kitchen work top. There may be an FCU feeding this socket that simply needs switching on

Hmm not necessarily as that depends on the boiler itself, if its a combi boiler it would have a permanent power supply not one switched by a timer. We need more info and some pics if thats possible.

Sponsored Links
ok - sounds like the boiler being plugged in is fine. It's a Worcester Highflow 400. thanks

I have a faulty mains socket which is on a spur. I think the spur is from the main kitchen ring but it is difficult to be certain

You seem to have made an assumption that this socket is a spur. How can you be 100% certain without finding it's feed point?

Is it possible that this socket was a dedicated supply to a central heating boiler or water heater and would therefore be on its own (16A?) MCB?
Is there a breaker in your CU that is off?
Is there a 2.5mm T & E in your CU that has been made redundant and disconnected?
Just a couple of thoughts thats all

Regards
FB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back