Faulty mains switch on Newlec consumer unit???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any sparks point me in the right direction here please?

I have a problem with my mains switch (Newlec 100amp) or I think I do, I can run a spur here & there but when it comes to the consumer unit I leave it to the pro's.

Here's my problem: I lost all the power in my home tonight approx 6pm, found the torch & opened the meter cupboard, checked all the switches & they were all in the on position. Flicked the mains switch to off, then back to on, the power came on midway but flicks off at the last 2% of the on position??? I can hold the switch at about 75% on & let go of the switch so it stays in this position & the power comes on & stays on, but as soon as I flick the switch to 100% on position I lose all the power.

I switched all of them off & all electrical items in the house, unplugged everything & started the elimination process thinking something may be tripping it but the mains switch still acts in the same way, I did notice however that when pressing the switch into the consumer unit that it restores power (very lightly too with one finger), does this indicate that the switch has failed or the wiring needs checking? Or is this something else?

The Unit has not been modified in 5 years since I moved here, neither has any other part of the wiring in the house, nothing added to it or removed. Everything has worked perfectly in those 5 years.

I know I should get a spark in to test & examine it which I probably will do very soon but I would be grateful if anyone can give some advice on this.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
What does it say on this 'main switch'? including any british or bsen standards numbers?

If it is just then its incapable of tripping!

Anyway, if pressing the switch into the board restores power, then its sounds like a bad connection, as such a fault carries the risk of fire if left, and the cable and isolator may already be heat damaged (and thus need cutting back and replacing respectivly to totally clear the problem) and the fact that the fault might be on the incomming side of the isolator, then I think the best advice I can give is to switch the isolator to the 'off' position and call an electrician tommorow :(

Thanks Adam

No BS or BSEN numbers on the top, Newlec 100A AC22A CAT NO. NLCUSW100 which I presume is Newlecs catalogue for replacements, reluctant to check the other side

Cheers Paul

Its just that then, an isolator... its incapable of tripping ;)

And I mean what I said about it being a poor connection, plenty of boards have gone up in smoke because of a loose connection!

Sponsored Links
I will be calling a spark 1st thing in the morning, I definately can not leave this switch in this position then so I can have power til morning? Or am I risking going to bed & never waking up again?

I really wouldn't if it were me(though if you really have too, remove as much load from the system as possible!)

Can you smell burning? hear crackling at all?

I can't suggest you check the terminals, because one side of it obviously remains live when its off, and you don't want to be gropeing about in the dark trying to do the otherside!

there is the possibility you wont wake up again mate.

sorry if you think im scaremongering but some things are not worth the risk.it could be arcing when you actually think its on.

Cheers guys, its going off soon, no burning smell or sound of crackling though Adam. Ill try & get it checked out tomorrow asap

Thanks fellas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back