faulty pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mate of mine had shower fitted recently and they put an RCD on the meter tails (and broke the seal at the same time). 30mA RCD. problem is, it trips about 2 mins after the heating is switched on. have narrowed the fault down to the pump (i think).

insulated tests are .5M live-earth (and live-pipework) and .7M neutral-earth (and neutral-pipework). could it be the pump causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
I take it these results with the pump disconnected, I would suspect the pump as well.

Wouldn't want the entire installation on a 30mA RCD.
100mA RCD as main switch if its TT, if not split load board with 30mA RCD on shower and downstairs sockets.

Qedelec said:
Wouldn't want the entire installation on a 30mA RCD.
100mA RCD as main switch if its TT, if not split load board with 30mA RCD on shower and downstairs sockets.

he said the shower must have an RCD and he said he would put it to supply the whole house instead of just the shower. to do this, he also broke the seal on the service fuse.

supply is TNS

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea to have the installation on a 30mA RCD as I said ealier.
He should have fitted a split load board with the shower and downstairs sockets on the RCD protected side.
As you describe it with the RCD as the main incommer, a light bulb blowing is likely to cut the power to the property.
Was he whistling 'Home on the range' as he fitted the board.

Qedelec said:
Not a good idea to have the installation on a 30mA RCD as I said ealier.
im well aware of that
Qedelec said:
He should have fitted a split load board with the shower and downstairs sockets on the RCD protected side.
he should have just put the RCD above the CU next to the trunking and wired the cable to the shower thru it instead of on the main tails
Qedelec said:
As you describe it with the RCD as the main incommer, a light bulb blowing is likely to cut the power to the property.
since when does a failing bulb leak power to earth
Qedelec said:
Was he whistling 'Home on the range' as he fitted the board.

at what point did i say he fitted a board?

since when does a failing bulb leak power to earth

RCD's as you no doubt know, detect an inbalance between phase and neutral. At the point of failure there is often such an inbalance created which will trip the RCD. It does not have to be a leakage to earth.

Rereading your original post I see that you didn't mention a board but I would question why he placed the RCD in the meter tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back