Faulty Radiator Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Think I might be going out of my mind! All my radiators are baking hot - except for one upstairs.

It has a valve on it like this (as do all the rads):
CmXr6BA.jpg

I've fully opened the tap and both input and output get hot. The radiator remains stubbornly cold.

I opened the bleed at the top - no air came out, but I did get a pressurised jet of lukewarm water (straight in the face...).

I've turn off all the other radiators in the house - upstairs and down - and set the thermostat to "inferno" - this bloody radiator remains cool to the touch even after an hour.

I've got a Classic FF250 boiler which was serviced earlier in the year - that doesn't seem to be the source of the problem.

I can't understand how both pipes can be hot, and yet the radiator remain cool - especially as the water inside appears to be under pressure.

Go on - what obvious thing am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Those valves have a long tube which goes from the inlet side into and across the bottom of the radiator. It's probably corroded and fell off, causing water to enter and exit through the valve body and not circulate in the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Drain system remove valve. Remove blanking plug from opposite side of rad at bottom.
Fit new valves to each side and a new big of pipe either along skirting or under floor and up.
Or put in new rad at same time.

unscrew the cap next to the plastic wheel valve - open exposed screw fully with a screwdriver - if fully open already you've got a blockage or broken pipe as said,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back