Faulty Seals in Gas Stove Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10 year old Coalbrookdale gas stove heater. Recently, there has been white powder emerging from the edges of the stove. I emailed Aga (who made the Coalbrookdale stoves) and got this reply:

"the powder is dryed fire cement,when manufactured the
panels are sealed together with black fire cement,if any seals have
failed do not use the appliance and get any gaps filled by a corgi
registered engineer."

Is this something that I could do myself? I do not have any experience of these stoves (having inherited this one in my house). Is it a case of just scraping out the loose cement and spreading some new fire cement in the seals?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Of course Aga said get a qualified CORGI engineer to do the work, but they HAVE to say that. As we all know, some jobs can be done safely by a non-qualified person with the correct knowledge and advice - which is why I asked for advice on this forum. If it is something to be left well alone by a DIY-er, then fair enough - I'll take advice. If it is a reasonable task to undertake safely, then I may consider it. Just asking for thoughts really from folk with knowledge/experience. Not sure if the previous post was from somebody giving advice from experience or just asking a question....

One has to ask if this stove has ever been serviced. By the sound of it the answer would be "No" as this problem would be attended to during the service visit.

Sponsored Links
Stove has been serviced (thanks for enquiring, previous poster) - due its next annual service soon - this problem has materialised just recently.

Soooo, let me ask things in a different way..... is this an easy (and inexpensive) repair job for a properly qualified engineer? Will a repair be a long lasting solution or just putting off the inevitable of replacing the unit?

Cheers.

all repairs put off the replacement of an appliance, thats the point of them.
Probably a simple repair for a gasman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back