Faulty smeg oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, our oven keeps triggering the circuit breaker and effectively the power to the house.

It seems to happen when the oven is hot. Tonight it went off and turned the whole house off after it had been on for about 15 mins. The firs time it happened. I just switched it back to on the circuit breaker and it did the same thing again. So I turned the oven off and turned the cb back on and it was ok. So it's def oven! We had plan b tea and I went to shut the oven door and it triggered the circuit breaker again! It's ok when The door open but when it's shut it sets it off again. I guess it's over heating? It seems odd that closing the door suddenly shuts it off. Where do I start. Thermostat? Elements? Fan? Any advice, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You really need a meter to check things. Try disconnecting the element then the fan. Check the switch pack for burnt contacts. That's behind the dials. Also is the door switch a toggle or a micro switch check that too.

Thanks, a further problem now.... I left the door open last night and now even every time I close the door the power cuts to the house again. How do I go about checking the door switch? Thanks.

Can anyone advise please.

I got the oven out today and looked at the switch pack ... a number of connections look like they've been hot/ burnt. I disconnected lots of things and kept trying with the door closed and it kept cutting the power. The culprit seems to be the fan motor. I noticed some smoke coming from the earth on the fan motor when it was tripping out... so I disconnected it and now I can at least shut the oven door at last without my house becoming powerless!

So... Do I replace the fan motor? Is it as simple as that? What I don't understand is, if the fan was/is the problem why was it cutting the power when the oven door was being closed? the oven was plugged in and on but it wasn't cooking/heating/fanning?! So now power would be going to the fan would it?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Yes the fan is faulty. Once the door is shut it completes a circuit. If there's a fault in one component it will trip out. The only way to find is to disconnect a few bits which confirms the fan is dead short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back