Faulty socket spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister had a fualty socket in her kitchen which intermitantly stopped working and then would start working again. The fauty socket ran off as a spur from an upstairs socket, upon investigation I found that the live conductor connection on the upstairs socket that ran to the faulty socket had soot on it.
I checked the no load voltage at the faulty socket and it showed 70v, but any load applied would drop it down to 0v. I assume the 70v is coz of the bad connection on the live conductor due to soot.

Sponsored Links
If, by the no load voltage, you mean that the voltage at the socket, between the Live and Neutral is 70V without anything plugged in then yes, you do have a problem. You should get a reading of between 220V and 250V (on a British Standard day). The sooting - probably due to a loose connection - could affect the connection between the live supply and the socket by increasing the resistance across that connection and causing a voltage drop (of, in your case, 160V across that connection). That's bad news and I'd expect that fitting to be getting hot. You must rectify this asap. Change the socket and strip the wire back a little to use new clean wire in the connections. Have a good look at the wire and make sure it has not suffered from the heat. Ideally, I think the insulation should be checked using a proper insulation tester.

Done what you mentioned. Works ok.
I couldnt work out where the 70V came from, but the soot thing explains it.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back