Faulty stopcock ??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Everyone

I think I have a faulty stop cock. I turned both hot and cold water off in my bathroom while I was tiling behind the sink.

When I turner them both back on, only the hot came on. The stop cock for the cold water is just turning freely and not letting water through.

What do I do. CAn I replace it???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks[b[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hi Again.

I don't know if this helps, but the valve is red and round. I hope this is the stop cock and I've not confused anyone.

Thanks

Red and round sounds more like a gate valve to me tbh. They do have a tendancy to sheer off if turned to hard and are fairly unused.

Sponsored Links
I think I could do the swapping over. But how do I drain the tank ???

Sounds really messy?

Thanks for the advice so far. :D

tie up the ball valve in the cold water tank to stop it refilling.

Turn on any tap that is fed from that tank, and leave it on until the tank is empty.

Or buy a pair of rubber bungs from the plumbing tools counter (but this is a bit more risky if you make a mistake)

chicklet said:
I think I could do the swapping over. But how do I drain the tank ?
Through the cylinder and out of the bath tap. Unfortunately this will lose all your hot water, but whadd're ya gonna do?

None of the taps coming from this tank will run??? Can't get them on because of the valve not turning.

Is there any other way to drain it. The tank is in a cupboard and I can't get in the top of it????

So, If I get into the cold water tank and tie up the ball valve. Let the hot water bath tap run, It will eventually empty the cold water tank???????

Is that right or have I got it completely wrong?

You've got it completely right. However, it would be better to shut off the mains supply to the cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back