Faulty storage heater socket? (ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I changed an old storage heater switch for a normal single socket. All seemed to go well.

I plugged in my 1250W Haverland heater to it and it went on fine and started heating up.

After 20-30 minutes I went though to check on the heater and saw that it was off. I plugged into another socket and it worked fine.

I’ve taken the socket off, checked the wiring is secure. Checked the circuit breaker at the panel, everything seems fine on the surface, but no power from the socket. I even went and bought a second socket to make sure the first wasn’t faulty but it too wouldn’t work when fitted.

Anyone got any ideas as to where I’ve gone wrong? Might I need a new circuit breaker?

Sponsored Links
The fact that it is a "storage heater" circuit suggests that it is on a separate, timed supply to your "normal" sockets. Off-peak power for storage heaters and the like is normally ON between (roughly) 23:00 and 06:00 hours, but sometimes the older, mechanical timeclocks can go wrong and do the switching at odd times. It's worth checking this out first.

I would also suggest you ask the Mods to move this thread to Electrics UK where it will get more views, and thus more potential replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back