Faulty switch?

Note again:
the transformers used for 12v halogen lights have poor regulation

That is only true if the manufacturers have specified poor regulation in their purchase order to the transformer manufacturers.

Nothing about a "decent" transformer but the ones normally used. I think I've made my point.
Which suggests that your experience "normally" includes only low cost ( or high profit margin ) equipment and installations.

You have made a point but probably not the point you wanted to make.

Sponsored Links
All you've proved is that you're a google warrior. All the lads on here with actual experience of electrical work disagree with the nonsense you continue to spout.

What is a google warrior?

I have over 50 years experience of electrical work. I do not spout nonsense.

333rocky333 said:

"Though i do recall the sales gumf at the time recomended loading them up near the max and that using 1x 20 watt lamp on a 50va Tran was rumored to effect the lamp life"

So is he talking nonsense as well?

It's someone who gets all their facts from google to try and make themselves look cleverer than they really are.

I'd hardly call a rumour from some 20 years ago as great evidence to support your argument.

You really do have a knack of making yourself look awfully silly.

Note again: the transformers used for 12v halogen lights have poor regulation
That is only true if the manufacturers have specified poor regulation in their purchase order to the transformer manufacturers.
Quite - and if the regulation were so poor that the off-load or low-load voltage was above the acceptable range for the intended type of load, then one might expect that the suppliers would specify a minimum load, just as they do (for other reasons) with many SMPSs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Note again: the transformers used for 12v halogen lights have poor regulation
Quite - and if the regulation were so poor that the off-load or low-load voltage was above the acceptable range for the intended type of load, then one might expect that the suppliers would specify a minimum load, just as they do (for other reasons) with many SMPSs.

Kind Regards, John

The only one I have left in stock a, a Crompton TXW50, the instruction leaflet clearly says:

Always remember to use only a single 50W (50VA) dichroic bulb with this transformer.

Interesting also on the Osram site regarding their Halotronic SMPS:

"In partial load operation, HALOTRONIC® transformers do not produce overvoltages so even in this mode of operation there is no reduction in the life of the lamp."

This would seem to imply that conventional transformers do produce over voltages.

Interesting also on the Osram site regarding their Halotronic SMPS: "In partial load operation, HALOTRONIC® transformers do not produce overvoltages so even in this mode of operation there is no reduction in the life of the lamp." .... This would seem to imply that conventional transformers do produce over voltages.
With your 50+ years of experience, you presumably didn't need a website to tell you that. We all know that any wire-wound transformer will have 'copper losses' (which will result in 'overvoltage' at low load if the voltage is adequate at full load), the only issue being the magnitude of those losses (hence magnitude of 'overvoltage' at low load).

Conversely, an SMPS can be more-or-less as well regulated as the designer chooses to make it.

Kind Regards, John

I have over 50 years experience of electrical work. I do not spout nonsense.
There are people with fifty years of carrying out electrical work, installing equipment that others have designed and specified.

Are you an installer or a designer ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back