Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A newish toilet cistern has been pretty rubbish since fitting:

1. Sometimes, the top button
sticks, so the toilet flushes continually

2.Sometimes the float
doesn't drop down after flushing, so it never refills

Is it just a testament to the crappiness (pardon the pun) of most plumbing fittings, or is there anything I can do to solve the issue?

TIA

Sponsored Links
You tend to get what you pay for. Replace the fill and flush valves with a good make such as Fluidmaster.

I thought as much.

1. There seem to be a variety of cistern fittings. What's the name of the type I should be looking for?

2. Will it be a matter of swapping out the working bits or do I need to replace all the fittings ? Is it something someone with pretty much zero diy plumbing skillls could cope with?

Not an overly complicated job but it will all depend on how easy the access is to the cistern and pipework.

Can you get to it all easily?

As long as you take your time and have some basic knowledge of what it entails then it is a job which a DIYer could tackle.

Sponsored Links
Or you could just fit the existing fill-valve correctly - needs to rotate clockwise about 5 degrees when viewed from above.

Then align the pushbutton correctly so that they line up with the flush-valve correctly. Don't over-tighten the backnut and they should release correctly.

Thanks, will try that. Any suggestions for the float valve sticking?

It looks to me as if the float is catching on the cistern - hence need to rotate about 5 degrees (as my last post).

You need to loosen off the backnut under the cistern (and probably the tail) - if you're not confident about doing this without causing the cistern to leak then get somebody in to do it (it's a two minute job)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back