Sticking Toilet Cistern Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new bathroom fitted 2 years ago and opted for an enclosed toilet cistern with a front push button flush. The flush button is chrome plated and about 75mm dia in total. There's an outer ring which presumably holds the assembly in place and there's a larger push button with a small triangular one contained within it.
Sometimes when the toilet has been flushed, the water continues to trickle into the toilet, preventing the cistern from filling. This can be stopped with by pushing in the button again and realising it quickly. Is there any easy fix for this?
My wife has pondered with the idea of replacing the push flush with a traditional handle one. Is this possible without dismantling the wooden units and removing the wooden shelf / top that the hand basin sits on?

View media item 79496

Sponsored Links
What type of valve is in the cistern?

If it's a flapper valve then the issue possibly isn't with the button...

B

What type of valve is in the cistern?

If it's a flapper valve then the issue possibly isn't with the button...

B

No idea. A bathroom design company fitted everything and we didn't get a chance to see inside. As I said, it's usually easily stopped by a second push of the button, but my wife is thinking of changing it to a handle flush & that sounds expensive.

Can you get access to the cistern?

Reason I ask about the valve is that I have a flapper valve in my cistern and I occasionally have the same problem with water trickling into the cistern after a flush.

It is always down to the gasket at the base of the valve not seating (sealing) properly and allowing water back down into the cistern. Pressing the button again usually fixes it because it lifts the gasket and then re-seats it properly.

I keep meaning to replace it but never seem to get round to it...probably because it doesn't happen too often.

That's why I said it might not be the actual button (which would mean you replacing it with a handle won't solve the issue)

However, I could be wrong here but I am sure someone on here may be able to give you further advice.

Still think they may want to know what's inside the cistern though!

Sorry if that doesn't help you.

B

Sponsored Links
Can you get access to the cistern?

Reason I ask about the valve is that I have a flapper valve in my cistern and I occasionally have the same problem with water trickling into the cistern after a flush.

It is always down to the gasket at the base of the valve not seating (sealing) properly and allowing water back down into the cistern. Pressing the button again usually fixes it because it lifts the gasket and then re-seats it properly.

I keep meaning to replace it but never seem to get round to it...probably because it doesn't happen too often.

That's why I said it might not be the actual button (which would mean you replacing it with a handle won't solve the issue)

However, I could be wrong here but I am sure someone on here may be able to give you further advice.

Still think they may want to know what's inside the cistern though!

Sorry if that doesn't help you.

B
Appreciate the reply. Sorry, but I've no idea how to get at the cistern. The shelf above might have to be removed, but the hand basin is seated on that.

You might find the panel with the flush buttons in it can be levered out (gently) to give you at least limited access to the cistern. If it does, try securing a ring of twisted wire (non rusting, solder is good) on top of the flush valve. The extra weight can sometimes overcome the increased friction in the control wires from push button to valve caused by old age / corrosion. However, its not a permanent fix, and at some stage you are going to have to bite the bullet and work out how to replace the "innards" of the cistern.

I've seen something like that at my mate's house, I could be wrong but I think the top front board with push button is clipped or hook onto frame.
Does it feel loose? Try see if you can carefully prise out with a screwdriver without damage the surface.

Daniel

Defo not a flapper so ignore my previous posts.

Will leave it to the experts who I am sure will find it much easier to advise you now that the dog can see the rabbit.......

The green syphon will normally 1/4 turn and pull out sometimes a clip holds it together wangle it out and i put money on it the rubber washer at the bottom is bubbled, ask in a merchants for a gerberit syphon washer they will know what you mean these usually fit, if not bubbled could just be grit on the seating

Ps turn the water of first

The green syphon will normally 1/4 turn and pull out sometimes a clip holds it together wangle it out and i put money on it the rubber washer at the bottom is bubbled, ask in a merchants for a gerberit syphon washer they will know what you mean these usually fit, if not bubbled could just be grit on the seating

Ps turn the water of first
Cheers, I'll have a look tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back