Faulty wall socket...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked lots of times.....

I've just moved into a new property, and had my tv and dvd plugged into the double socket....when I went to switch the tv on, it suddenly switched off. Now neither socket works (I've checked with other electrical appliances)...luckily my tv and dvd work fine in another socket.
How do I go about changing this socket??? I have no idea. Any help please!!!

Sponsored Links
Initial step would be to turn off the power to the circuit the sockets are on, unscrew the socket and see if any wires are loose.

Do be careful, because as the socket doesn't work anyway, you can't be absolutely sure that it is on the same circuit as all the others.

What worries me though is that if you have no idea how to change a socket maybe you shouldn't try, trial-and-error is not a sound learning strategy for electrics....

Watch out that if you do decide to change the socket, the holes for the wires on the back of a new one may be in a different place to the old one. Do not mix up L and N. Earth should be obvious because it will most likely be an uninsulated connector.

Sponsored Links
A loose connection behind the socket is a likely cause of your problem but take note of Ban-all-sheds' advice. You can't check that the socket is really dead. Switch off the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back