Faulty Wocester 24i boiler , misses and kiddies are freezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all been reading a couple of posts and it seems like some of the members hear know what they are talking about so i will post my fault and maybe you can tell me the fault . please let me put your minds at rest i will make NO attept to fix this myself i just dont want to get ripped off as our regular plummer has moved to a different country and we are currently seeking a new one .

I have a 4 year old wocester 24i combi . The problems are as follows . When we leave the heating on timed the timer or some other part clicks alot and the boiler fails to light . We have perfect heating on constant setting.

If the heating is on constant we get hot water if the boiler has been on for a couple of hours but if you put the hot water on when you first put the heating on the boiler fires but then goes out after clicking almost straight away we also have the same fault if the heating is on timed but the hot water fault is alot better on the heating constant setting as stated above .

now when the flame goes out as regards to the hot water if you tap softly and i dont mean with a hammer the front bottom panel where the timer is the flame will fire back up after a clicking noise for a second or two and go back out if you continue to do this eventually it will stay lit . but it a pain if your in the shower at 4am before you go to work as i was this morning.

i have phone one or two people today and they all say pcb without looking at the fault. Please help much appreciated

thanks in advance mark

Sponsored Links
I can not help but I just want to offer symphathy. We have a knackered glow-worm at the moment and the house is bloody freezing tonight. I can not wait to get a new boiler fitted and get some CH back...brrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cry:

Mr Balls, I wonder why you and others have this over riding fear of being ripped off ?

The vast majority of boiler engineers are honest and reasonable in my opinion but it seems that you think otherwise.

Nobody can positively identify your boiler's fault without inspecting it personally. maybe its the PCB and maybe its not!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Mr Balls, I wonder why you and others have this over riding fear of being ripped off ?

The vast majority of boiler engineers are honest and reasonable in my opinion but it seems that you think otherwise.

Nobody can positively identify your boiler's fault without inspecting it personally. maybe its the PCB and maybe its not!

Tony

yes that is a fair comment tony but almost every engineer i have rung does not want to come to the house and they are saying the pcb is knackered when i belive it may not be , but i am no engineer . maybe what i need to do is get a recommended engineer for the cardiff , south wales area . As for being ripped off we all watch tv (workmen from hell )

thanks for replys

Those Rogue Traders programs are for entertainment only.

They dont take firms at random but just target people know to be dogey.

That just gives the 99% or honest people a nad name.

Tony

Wouldn't wish to have a nad name :confused:

If it gets better when you tap your front bottom :confused: :confused: perhaps you should find out what you're actually affecting. Can you tap just the timer? Intermittent connections are hard to diagnose remotely!

agreed tony but hell its my nature not to trust anyone especially when it comes to money , You earn trust .

yes i have just tried to tap the timer once and i sprung off the boiler in two or three pieces lol but i pushed them all back in place in order and it seemed to work just the same as before . I have excellent soldering skills and someone suggested looking for dry joints on the pcb . Do you guys think that is worth a shot and how would i go about disassembling the boiler pcb casing to do this

we have a worcester 24i as well, and yes i have found that when the flame/main burner switches itself off you tap the front lower panel to ignite the flame again!, either that or you switch off mains for about 15mins then back on again will normally get the burner flame back on.
no luck tonight though! our boiler is stone f**king cold!

Hello all been reading a couple of posts and it seems like some of the members hear know what they are talking about so i will post my fault and maybe you can tell me the fault . please let me put your minds at rest i will make NO attept to fix this myself i just dont want to get ripped off as our regular plummer has moved to a different country and we are currently seeking a new one .

I have a 4 year old wocester 24i combi . The problems are as follows . When we leave the heating on timed the timer or some other part clicks alot and the boiler fails to light . We have perfect heating on constant setting.

If the heating is on constant we get hot water if the boiler has been on for a couple of hours but if you put the hot water on when you first put the heating on the boiler fires but then goes out after clicking almost straight away we also have the same fault if the heating is on timed but the hot water fault is alot better on the heating constant setting as stated above .

now when the flame goes out as regards to the hot water if you tap softly and i dont mean with a hammer the front bottom panel where the timer is the flame will fire back up after a clicking noise for a second or two and go back out if you continue to do this eventually it will stay lit . but it a pain if your in the shower at 4am before you go to work as i was this morning.

i have phone one or two people today and they all say pcb without looking at the fault. Please help much appreciated

thanks in advance mark

Hi mate, I am not qualified and am not even a good DIYer but we had this problem less than 12 months ago, although the symptoms were not exactly the same, when pressure was applied to the plastic front panel, the boiler would fire correctly, and this turned out to be the PCB. A credited CORGI engineer just swapped the PCB rather than look at any possibility of bad joints or bad components so I'm assuming that is either the cheapest or more convenient way of doing it. Hope this helps!

I've been outside waiting in my van for the past 3 years now to go and repair this guys boiler........ he just WILL NOT answer the door!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back