Faux Suede wallcovering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for advice and guidance.

I want to cover a wall with faux suede. I looked at faux suede paint, but that feels like paint with sand in it. It (almost) has the look of suede, but not the texture.

The wall is plastered and has lining paper.

I can buy the faux suede fabric, but am not sure how to attach it to the wall.

Does any anybody have any experience?

Guidance and advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
I applied a similar fabric to a narrow fake chimney breast a couple of years ago for a friend, using spray-on carpet adhesive. It was a bit fiddly but stuck well and is still there today. I don't think I'd like to do a bigger area, and can't imagine what the wall will look like when it's removed!

This glue can seep through some materials so I can't guarantee how yours would look, but if you do go down this road, make sure you spray the wall and not the material. I imagine it will adhere to sound lining paper and future removal will probably cause less damage.

I'm sure someone else on this forum will have a better idea for you.

You can buy faux wall papers giving a suede effect, never hung one and tbh not sure i'd want to. If you buy material the only thing i can think of to use is contact adhesive but i'd test it out first and not sure of the longevity. Other problem you'll have is when we hang papers you get a certain amount of slip on the wall to ease positioning, i cant see you getting much with any type of material glue/fixing product. I suppose the easiest way to do it would be use one piece for the whole wall if thats possible but its gonna need to be free of wrinkles to look good ( maybe a warm iron would help?), i'd go with the wall paper and just be really careful about getting paste on the facing side.
Good luck

The only fabric-covered walls I have seen were in some museum - an old palace. The fabric was silk and was not attached to the wall as wallpaper. It was arranged as panels - perhaps some sort of timber panels upholstered with the fabric and then attached to the wall. Maybe you can do the same and use some decorative trimming for the joints.

Sponsored Links
In case anybody wants to try this here is the approach that I used.

Lining paper on the wall to ensure that the covering can be removed and not leave the backing attached.
I hung the faux suede horizontally rather than vertically but that was my preference to place the join below the sight line (and potentially behind the bed)
Cut the faux suede to slightly larger than the wall. The material that I used was upholstery fabric and did not have a straight edge - so I had to start by cutting a reasonably straight edge for the top of the wall (in my case to line up with the picture rail.
Mask all of the area around the wall to be covered (the spray adhesive can only be removed with white spirit)
Mark the centre of the wall and also the centre of the fabric
Spray the top 2-3" of the wall
Attach the fabric (with the centre marks lined up) - make sure that there are no bubbles or creases and you only get one attempt. The glue will pull the backing off.
Spray from the top down the centre line to about half of the fabric drop.
Attach the fabric - careful about bubbles and creases. I used a silicon blade (used to wipe water off cars) to smooth the fabric.
Repeat at the sides
Now cut a piece for the bottom part of the wall. Large enough to overlap the top piece by about 6 inches.
Repeat the steps but starting from the bottom.

You have two pieces attached that overlap by about 6 ". The overlap and a little more is not glued yet.
Pin the two to the wall (dressmaking pins to the lining paper)
Cut horizontally (make sure the cut is perfectly level with a spirit level) through both pieces to remove the overlap.
Remove pins
Glue the last two 'flaps'.
Trim surplus from edges
Remove masking
Stand back and admire result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back