FCU for under cupboard lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have flouro lights under my kitchen wall cabinets that are hard wired direct to a light switch, presumably on the lighting circuit.

I want to change them to LED strips, and the ones I want come supplied with a plug. I'm planning on cutting the plug out and connecting them to the existing wiring, but am worried that by doing that I'll be losing the fuse that would otherwise be in the plug.

So, question is, is there anything wrong with doing that, and should I put an FCU in between the switch and the lights, with the fuse from the plug in it?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I have flouro lights under my kitchen wall cabinets that are hard wired direct to a light switch, presumably on the lighting circuit.
Never assume/presume! However, that probably doesn't matter very much is terms of your question.
I want to change them to LED strips, and the ones I want come supplied with a plug.
I presume (!) that you are sure that it is simply a plug, and not some sort of power supply or driver?
I'm planning on cutting the plug out and connecting them to the existing wiring, but am worried that by doing that I'll be losing the fuse that would otherwise be in the plug. ... So, question is, is there anything wrong with doing that, and should I put an FCU in between the switch and the lights, with the fuse from the plug in it?
As you are rightly thinking, if you did as you propose, and provided that the plug is just a plug, the situation you created would be electrically identical to that if you plugged the plug into a socket (with the same fuse in the FCU as in the plug) - so I can see nothing wrong with it.

Kind Regards, John[/i][/b]

Cheers diyer56, your thread is very useful.

JohnW2, I assumed it was on the lighting circuit because it is switched on a multiple switch with other lights on it. I will check that it is though, thanks!

I don't have the LED lights yet, but as far as I can tell the plug is just a plug, and that any transformer/driver is incorporated in the fitting. This is another thing that I will check out.

Thanks for the reply (and for your replies in diyer56's thread, which were also very helpful.)

Sponsored Links
JohnW2, I assumed it was on the lighting circuit because it is switched on a multiple switch with other lights on it. I will check that it is though, thanks!
As I implied in what I said, I don't think it would really (in terms of electrical common sense) make much difference if it were not a lighting circuit (although there might be some technical non-compliances with regulations if it was not a lighting circuit). Indeed, if it was actually powered by a sockets circuit, then (by including the FCU) what you are proposing would be appreciably safer than the situation you currently have. If (as is likely) it is a lighting circuit then (depending on the instructions of the LED manufacturer) it may theoretically not be necessary to have an FCU, but you certainly won't reduce safety by having one.
I don't have the LED lights yet, but as far as I can tell the plug is just a plug, and that any transformer/driver is incorporated in the fitting. This is another thing that I will check out.
That is obviously crucial. If you cut off the power supply/driver and connected mains electricity directly to what was left, that could clearly be disastrous!

Kind Regards, John

If you cut off the power supply/driver and connected mains electricity directly to what was left, that could clearly be disastrous!

I'll be careful not to do that! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back