light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 striplights in the garage wired up to a basic plug fitted with a 3 amp fuse. I am wanting to fit the lights to a light switch so it saves a spare socket and be much easier to turn on.

I have an FCU fitted in the garage which operates the outdoor PIR light, the FCU is fitted with an 3 amp fuse, can i wire the switch from the FCU and if so will i need to change the fuse

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll be OK to wire to the LOAD side of the FCU. 3A fuse will be fine for the 2 strips plus the PIR light.

ok great stuff thanks alot. The FCU is metal, can i use a plastic switch coming from the FCU instead of a metal one and does the plastic switch mounting box have to earthed?

Sponsored Links
ok great stuff thanks alot. The FCU is metal, can i use a plastic switch coming from the FCU instead of a metal one and does the plastic switch mounting box have to earthed?

Yes, a plastic switch and backbox are fine. You will however, if using twin and earth cable, have a cpc to terminate into the brass terminal if the backbox has one. If not, just terminate it into a connector block.
Regulations state that a cpc must be present at all terminations.

ok this is referring back to my previous post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139029&highlight=

my lightswitch came delivered this morning, its a 1 gang two way lightswitch, now on the switch it has to 3 terminals- common at the top, L1 on the left and L2 on the right, plus an earth terminal. i am replacing my garage plug in strip lights with this light switch,

i have an switched FCU with a 3 amp fuse which supplies my outdoor PIR light, and im going to connect the light switch to the FCU.

i am just looking for some advice on how to wire the light switch up to the FCU and the strip lights, e.g what terminal/s do i connect the wires to.

Many thanks
As was said above, you connect it to the load side of the FCU. Use Common and L1 in the switch - if it works "upside down" when you do that then either turn it round the right way or move the conductor that's in L1 to L2.

Have you put any effort at all into learning the most basic things?

51Z4HMH6K8L._AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/027644079X

51SPA9EQM8L._AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007231938

Just to help things along he's got two posts running on the same subject. :rolleyes:

Mole - this does not help. You'll find that two posts = half the help, not twice the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back