FCU Spurs questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand you can have only one non fused spur from a ring main but how many spurs can you have with FCU's ?

Can you have multiple FCU spurs at different points on one ring e.g kitchen, living room ? or are you limited to still one spur but you can have as many sockets on that spur with no more than 13amp ?

Is there a limit on spurs you can put on the ring, be it cable length or load that could unbalance the ring main ? i'm sure i read spurs can not be more than 10 meters in cable length , would that apply to each spur or would that include all the spurs in total

Sponsored Links
I understand you can have only one non fused spur from a ring main but how many spurs can you have with FCU's ?
No, you may only have one socket (single or double) on an unfused spur.
A fused spur may have many sockets although the total current will be limited by the fuse.
You may have as many spurs as you wish.

Can you have multiple FCU spurs at different points on one ring e.g kitchen, living room ? or are you limited to still one spur but you can have as many sockets on that spur with no more than 13amp ?
As above.

Is there a limit on spurs you can put on the ring, be it cable length or load that could unbalance the ring main ?
Balance is always a consideration with a ring final circuit (it's not a ring main; they are in the road).

i'm sure i read spurs can not be more than 10 meters in cable length , would that apply to each spur or would that include all the spurs in total
There is a three metre length restriction where the capacity of the cable is less than the OPD (fuse/mcb) rating.
However, there are other considerations - rather complicated or contrived.

i'm sure i read spurs can not be more than 10 meters in cable length , would that apply to each spur or would that include all the spurs in total
There is a three metre length restriction where the capacity of the cable is less than the OPD (fuse/mcb) rating. However, there are other considerations - rather complicated or contrived.
The 'guidance' in the OSG seems particularly 'contrived', and arbitrary.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back