FD30S Fire Door

In my view the council were quite right to push this and the occupier must cooperate with the Landlord arrangements under current fire safety legislation - which overrides housing or planning rules.

Yes, but at who's cost?

Why should a leaseholder have to pay to upgrade a property which was, and is, perfectly compliant with the standards applicable when it was built.

There is no legislation requiring upgrading of property to more stringent, or more recent standards in situations like this

Sponsored Links
THE EMPHASIS IS ON COOPERATION - LIKE WE NEED TO PROVIDE LANDLORD (OR AGENT) ACCESS TO MAKE GOOD REPAIRS OR SERVICE GAS EQUIPMENT.

I AGREE IT IS A BIT HARSH THAT THE LEASEHOLDER HAS TO PAY FOR A PROPER FIRE DOOR THAT REFLECTS CURRENT GUIDANCE - BUT THEY MAY ALSO BENEFIT FROM THE COMMUNAL AREA CLEANING / MAINTENANCE / DECORATION / INSPECTION AND ALARMS ETC. AS WELL AS A ROOF REPAIRS - AND PROBABLY DO NOT PAY FOR THESE SERVICES IF LANDLORD LOOKS AFTER MOST OF THE PREMISES.

TENANTS DO NOT PAY AS THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY BUT SHOULD NOT BE PUT AT RISK BECAUSE OTHERS IN THE BUILDING DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE SAFETY ARRANGEMENTS.

But the point is that the door is safe. It was built to the applicable standards, and there is no reason (or legislation) to require it to be changed.

Any such change would be considered an improvement, and be optional not mandatory.

The requirement for landlord/tenant/leaseholder would be to maintain, and not improve

Sponsored Links
yes i am a leaseholder living on the ground floor flat in a block of 8 flats 4 on top and 4 on bottom level, my front door opens onto the communal area, it was replaces 5 years ago with a metal over wood door, it came fully fitted to the door frame, at that time i was renting , i then purchase the flat through the RTB option, i have now recieved a notice to change my front door at my expence to a fire rated FD30s door and frame, I aproached my local fire safety officer who couldnt see any reason to change my existing door as it would withstand fire for up to half an hour anyway and the FD30s wouldnt give me much more time in the event of a fire, it has more to do with the landlord bringing the building up to new legislation introduced after that towerblock in london going on fire, but why should i have to replace a perfectly good door , its not exactly a fire risk and poses no immmidiate threat to the rest of the concrete and brick structure, i have refused and have been threatend with a section 20, so c them in court.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back