FEARS/PHOBIAS

Reaction score
Country
United States
had some down time at work today....if I haven't mentioned it before, I work along side of 16 other men and 2 women and we were just shootin the breeze and got to talking about "fears" or phobias.....it was very interesting and quite "out of character" for some.

My fear....(I think of it as a phobia because I absolutely go berserk and can't help it.....shudder) is SPIDERS......I have literally come close to killing myself to get away from them and I have no idea why? I'm not afraid of snakes or mice or bugs in general but "spiders" are different.......

come on......I won't tell

Sponsored Links
Why do so many women have this fear? Hope don't sound too sexist :D
but so many women I know compared to men, or is it they're just hiding it, is it upbringing or genetic?!

awww spiders are very misunderstood creatures and I think they're actually quite sweet :D

My phobia is balloons near my face. I hyperventilate and could quite easily pass out

And an even worse one than that .... The Hare Krishnas who dress in orange robes and clash tambourines... OMG I would rather die than be within a mile of them.

Apparently when I was five, some of them came dancing down the street and banging tambourines and things and I peed my pants in fright and then fainted :cry: My uncle had to take me into a shop until they had gone away. Even now they petrifie me - don't know why :rolleyes:

noodlz said:
Why do so many women have this fear? Hope don't sound too sexist :D

I dunno, I know a man who is scared of spiders...

The big girl. :LOL:

Of course, phobias are "irrational fears", so if you were attacked by a tarantula once, maybe it isn't a phobia?

Sponsored Links
My eldest son (almost 20) is petrified of spiders and if there's one in his room he won't go to bed until I have removed the poor thing!

weird thing is, he has had an infected bite on his claf for about 5 weeks now and we're pretty sure it was a spider bite - spiders revenge maybe????

Fear shout :rolleyes:

Wonder how much is learnt behaviour and how much is inherited predisposition? Nature/nurture.

Brightness, those are some weird ones...Kule to be different though ;)

Brightness, maybe in your son's case, he inherently knows they're dangerous to him?

That'd be neat in a way, when we think of sixth senses.

let me clarify....tarantulas don't scare me...they are interesting,
grand daddy long legs? I can pick them up and set them aside....but the common house spider, or those ugly jumping spiders (in Florida) or wood/wolf spiders (here)......I am absolutely terrified.
I knocked myself out cold when I stepped on the end of a rake---it's funnier in the cartoons--trying to get away from one and another time, I ran my truck into a a deep ditch when I "spied" one on the floor ---just about died in that little incident. itty bitty ones, I've gotten better with...but the medium/large.....can't explain it.

Yeah possibly noodlz - he's inherited my sixth sense poor kid - he started to see spirits when he was 2 - a bit like that film 'Mommy I see dead people....' LMAO

Oh and yeah my phobias are different because I am different LMAO My Mum tells me that I couldn't be normal if I tried as I don't know what normal is :LOL:

Hmmmmmmmmmm it's interesting that it's only certain sized spiders mlb3c. Could it be that you were scared by one jumping on or near you when you were small?

Good for you Brightness!

vive la difference!

Mlb, I found a spider one morning had made a web inside the windscreen of my van. I left it there and it was really interesting cos another spider came along and was wrapped up by it....my own little nature lesson, whilst driving :D It was fascinating.

don't know....not that i recall. I do think they are fascinating .....webs...from a distance....I just can't share a 'space' with them.

Now that I'm not married anymore, I have found that I can manage the itty bitty ones --because I have no choice.....but bigger ones....I've been extremely fortunate lately...but since I'm renovating "the basement", my luck will run out eventually come spring.
But this wasn't supposed to be about me.....I 'm curious about others :)

Spiders for me - don't mind small ones but don't like big ones. Don't like the way they move. I enjoy watching documentaries on them though. And I don't mind if one is in the same room as me - as long as its not next to me or on me. Its strange where I grew up there were loads of little jumping spides that jumped on your legs in the summer, and you got big baboon spiders, black widow, button etc and they never fazed me. But since moving to england they do - seem to get so many more in your house here. I like snakes though. I know of someone who is petfified of cotton wool and when he was in the army on of the guys in the barracks tied a cotton ball to a piece of string and suspended it about his face then woke him up - he sht himself - he was majorly unhappy...

Sponsored Links
Back