Feasibility check - HIU and combi boiler replacement

@flameport - thanks for explaining.

Basically i am back to square one.
Unvented indirect cylinder even the smallest 80litres is a huge tank that occupies my entire cupboard.

In case I want to use communal heating via HIU i am forced to place a massive tank in my cupboard.
I doubt that even the smallest one would allow me to fit softener.

It seems that the only alternative I am remained with is to turn off HIU supply and install a slim version of electric heater as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
Or you can get a HIU that produces hot water like a combi. Pretty expensive and you’d have to get an installer that was clued up on them.

Theoretically yes.
In reality not going to happen, as the boiler won't be the only item installed in the property.
Power factor will reduce the maximum kW, 17kW is a more likely maximum with a 100A supply.
Anything above 12kW would also require a circuit breakers 63A and above, which most single phase consumer units do not have.
Such things would also be into the realms of causing significant volt drop on the supply which is likely to affect other consumers on the same transformer.
Yes I know, I was just commenting on Harry's 10-12 kW

Sponsored Links
Thanks for sharing.

I believe most of them will require a lot of KWs / power which i don't have in my single bed apartment. So probably wont' work.

the power required comes from the heating supply of the flats ie, the district heat system.

Unvented indirect cylinder even the smallest 80litres is a huge tank that occupies my entire cupboard.
That cannot be true if it's got a 210 litre one in there now.

Either put the 80 litre on the floor and put the water softener on a shelf above
or put the 80 litre on a shelf which leaves the floor free for the softener
or get a tall slimline 80 litre cylinder which will leave space next to it
or fit the Combimate which will fit into a tiny 20x20x20cm space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back