Smart thermostat for dual zone district heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after guidance on which smart thermostat will work with my district heating system. These are still not that common, so struggling to get a factual answer.

My current system (photos attached):
* 2 zone system, each with a programmable thermostat. One to bedrooms and another to living areas
* I only need to control heating with thermostats. Hot water is delivered without control straight from HIU
* Current thermostats are battery powered Wolseley Centre EHE0200 (153|154) with 2 wires (L & N) connected
* I have 4 core wires running from the thermostats to a junction box next to HIU. 3 wires (2 connected to L & N on the thermostat, 1 spare). 1 yellow green earth connected to metal back box behind the thermostat
* From the junction box, cables go up to 2 x Drayton zone valves (both currently set to Auto)
* Simply, when each thermostat wants heat, the respective valve is opened, the HIU comes on and hot water travels to the radiators
* Radiators are a mix. Some standard, and some have manual TRVs

My questions:

1. Since there is no boiler, can I set the Wolseley thermostats to Manual i.e. ON at all times, and replace the manual TRVs with smart TRVs and control heating that way? I think the answer is no, because the the thermostat will be telling he HIU/valves to pump water at all times, while the TRVs will be shut when I don't want heating. Doesn't seem it will work, but tell me otherwise.

Assuming I do in fact need to change to a smart thermostat (regardless of TRVs):

2. Even though I have an HIU, is my system/thermostat equivalent to what's known as a 2 wire system? i.e. just L and N?
3. Between Hive, Nest and Tado, which would be compatible?
4. Are there any other cheaper, or non subscription based smart thermostats I could use? I was interested in Meross smart thermostat, but it doesn't appear to support 2 wire systems

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 01 - thermostat.jpg
    01 - thermostat.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 02 - cables from thermostats.jpg
    02 - cables from thermostats.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 03 - cables to valves.jpg
    03 - cables to valves.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 15
  • 04 - zone valves.jpg
    04 - zone valves.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Forgot to add that the HIU also has an actuator. A Honeywell M6410l2023. Not certain if that is used for heating or hot water, or both!

Attachments

• 05 - actuator.jpg
    05 - actuator.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back