Feather Edge & Derby

Sponsored Links
both are used extensively with backing plasters or renders.

a featheredge is used for ruling off or for screeding and a derby is like a large float, used for flattening wall renders.

Hi Rubberball,
FEATHER-EDGE...A dead straight length of wood or aluminium.Maybe 4 inches wide, 6 to 8 ft. long,tapered along one edge to enable it to be "tilted" at an angle, and passed vertically or horizontally across a wall/ceiling that has been coated with undercoat plaster or cement render.It is acting more or less like a giant float and when any low spots in the coating have been filled in,a pass across,say a wall with a feather edge tilted at an angle, will feather away excess coating leaving the wall flat and ready for the next stage.

DARBY...Again,this can be made of wood or aluminium.Mine is made of yellow pine.Between 3 to 4 ft in length with two handles on.Flat all the way across. This too would be used on plaster floating coats or the render top-coat.This tool as well would be passed across the wall/ceiling in a similar way to the feather-edge (tilted,never flat).Both of these tools are used in the final straightening/filling out,ready for the finishing process.Most aluminuim feather edges have a straight edge on the opposite side,which is a square edge.

STRAIGHT-EDGE...This is always held square to the wall and passed across the wall in a up/down sawing motion along a prepared screed, to straighten the coat initially in preparation for the feather-edge and darby All three "tools" are vital bits of equipment to a plasterer....Sorry it dragged on a bit,but as often happens,it's harder to explain their use,than to use.

Roughcaster.

ok thanks.

i had my bedroom plastered a while back and the ceiling boards were a little bit saggy in places before the plasterer did it but after plastering it was perfectly flat !!.

Would i be right in thinking that he used a darby to level the ceiling out ?

Sponsored Links
After putting on PVA,the plasterer would have coated down the hollows in your ceiling,probably with Bonding coat to the lowest point and used a small straight edge to level them off.When that had set,he would have skimmed the ceiling all over as per normal, to give it a flat looking appearance.You can only get away with doing it this way if the "saggy" bits are not too bad.Nowadays,most ceilings are boarded with 12mm plasterboard which is far less likely to sag.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back