featherboard fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a 2 metre featherboard fence erected and the installer has used 2.4mx100mmx100mm posts. Initially, this would not have provided the height I requested so they only sunk the posts in by about 40cms (45 in some cases) undeground with post mix to get the correct height. I notice that some of the posts do not appear to be as stable as I would have expected and a couple of them do move slightly in the earth when pushed.

I have been told by two other fencing installers that they should have used 2.7mx100mmx100mm fencing posts so that there was 60cms depth in the ground to give greaster stability. The fence is 36 metres and posts are 1.8m apart.

I'd like some comment on whether this is suitable bearing in mind that the fence is about 193 to 196 cms high and belive that the integrity (strength) of the fence may well have been compromised by the use of smaller posts.

I would appreciate comment befor theyc finish it off and I part with £1,600.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any decent fencer will work on the basis of 1/3 rd of the height above ground being underground. in other words 1 6 feet high fence will have posts approximatley 2 feet underground or 600mm. What the other installers have said is correct. Thats how we do ours!

some posts may be ok dependent on the ground stability and the wind loading they recieve, but it sounds like they turned up with the wrong materials and then tried to bodge it. Ensure you are happy with everything they have done, and point out what you are not happy with and ask it to be put right to your satisfaction.

Thanks Thermo,

You have confirmed my suspicions. What really bugs me is that I gave them the option to get 2.7M posts in order to replicate a quote already received (which they matched). They gave me the bull about the next size up being too long which meant my fence would be 2.2M and needed planning permission (which is why I settled upon max height of 2m). The fact that I questioned them about it before they started concreting really galls me.

Do I get them to do all the posts again i.e. dig out old posts and put in 2.7m? I'm left feeling that the whole lot should be done again as I have little confidence in what they've done. To date they have put skeleton up and boarded about 3m of the 36m.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

now is the time to do it before they start boarding it all..

they'll bitch and moan and try to charge you extra no doubt, saying that you agreed to 2.4m by taking the quote which specifies it ( it does doesn't it..? )

point out that it is very unstable as it stands and will be moreso when the boards are on and it's windy..

Sponsored Links
you can build a fence up to 6 feoot 6 inches (dependent on its location) without PP. Bottom line as fencers they should know better. ANy problems speak to trading standards for advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back