Featherboards on both sides of fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have young kids who play football in the garden. I encourage them to be careful but it's inevitable that the ball sometimes hits the fence at the rear of the garden, which belongs to my neighbours. As it was quite old it was starting to cause damage. I discussed this with my neighbours and I offered to share the cost of replacing it with something stronger but they insisted on paying for it themselves. I also suggested that they should have the featherboards so that when the ball hits the fence it's knocking the feather into the arris rail rather than out.

They've changed the fence now but they didn't accept my suggestion, so we still have the same problem and it's understandably upsetting them.

I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to install an additional set of featherboards on my side, with their permission of course. I think this would protect the featherboards on their side from getting knocked out by the ball. I'd appreciate any views on whether this would work, or any better suggestions.

fence1.JPG

fence2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not, it might make them rot quicker however as it'll trap the water. But given by the lack of gravel board I don't think it's really a concern.

Might be cheaper to buy the kids a decent sized set of nets.

Sponsored Links
plain old basic chunky square trellis made from 2x1" or 38x19mm tile baton screwed together
it will bounce and absorb the energy and you can grow plants on it
just leave the screw heads exposed in the lattice [not countersunk] for easy replacement off damaged lengths

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back