Fein Multimaster / Bosch 180 E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, after taking some valuable advice on thios forum about taking up flooring, I've decided to purchase the Bosch tool, and if its useful might buy the Fein in the future. The only dilemma is 110v or 220v!

Anyway my question for those that have one is as the depth of the cut is not adjustable i dont think (like a circula saw), how do you avoid cutting into any pipes / conduit notched into the joist.

Is their any technique or do you just carefully judge the depth?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I usually use the square ended blade for a plunge cut. This avoids cutting the edge of the next board along. You can mark the blade with coloured tape at the correct depth, but I find that you can usually feel that moment when it just cuts through.

I'm not sure if the bosch pmf 180 e is available in 110v. I've got one and I find it a pretty useful tool. tho I've been told it's nowhere near as good as the fein.

The Bosch is a DIY tool, so not available in 110v.

I find the blades to be too fine, and they take a while in floor boards or door bottoms. So I tend to stick with the circular saw - and built in depth gauge.

With the Bosch or Fein, you can reasonably guess how far the blade has gone in, or you can mark the blade at a certain depth

Sponsored Links
I would go straight for the Fein, I use mine so often, I find it invaluable. The Bosch is a DIY tool which is fine if that is what you are after.

For a depth stop you could use a scrap of wood of suitable thickness to stop the blade short of buried pipes.

You will not be disappointed with the bosch,the fein is a superior tool,as it should be at three times the price, but the bosch will do everything the fein does,with much cheaper blades,fein take the pi$$.

I usually use the square ended blade for a plunge cut. This avoids cutting the edge of the next board along. You can mark the blade with coloured tape at the correct depth, but I find that you can usually feel that moment when it just cuts through.

Followed by a blue flame, a mild explosion, a hiss or a 'fan' of water !! tee hee - couldn't resist that . :LOL:

I lifted some floorboards once to find that some diy freak had actually cut a groove in the floorboard underneath to accommodate a couple of pipes which hadn't been notched into the joists deep enough. ;)

i have the the bosch blue 10.8v its brilliant a bit slower than mains but so so flexible in fact when i saw [excuse the pun] another for £62 naked i bought it so now have 2 :D :D

what ever you choose get the kit with the full set off blades and attachments as buying them separately will cost around £50 more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back