Feltless Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie time - please be gentle:cool:

Our small typical 2 bed Victorian terrace has an original roof with no lining between the slates and battens. It doesn't leak but I'm worried it may put off potential buyers. What is the general view on unlined roofs and if we did come to sell what would a reasonable amount to knock off if it did spook a good buyer?

Sponsored Links
If it's an original, unfelted, Victorian roof then the nails are probably rusted away and the slates are hanging on by habit.

The old slates or tiles are probably delaminating from age and frost damage, also cracked or missing due to wartime bombing (if you are in a city).

You, or the next owner, will have to have it re-roofed (preferably with original-looking slates or tiles, as a modern concrete roof will take thousands off the value of the house) so this cost will be taken into account in the value.

If you are planning to live there for a few years you may as well have it done so you can take advantage of a good watertight roof and a clean, dry loft where you can store your Christmas tree and Judy Garland albums.

Thanks John, any idea on cost? Would 5k cover it or would I be looking at more? Ballpark figure obviously!

Dunno mate.

Look around for local people in your area with well-constructed replacement roofs and ask who did it. Then get a couple of quotes.

Sponsored Links
Its a catch 22, the roof is only a problem when the slates start falling off, if they haven't then its fine to leave it in the knowledge it will need doing at some point. a survey will pick it up to new buyers but if all the slates are in place and there is no leakage will only say will need re-roofing some time in the future. If its an issue to the buyers just arrange for a quote and go 50/50 with them if they're that bothered.
I had a victorian 3 bed semi with no felt and we sold that no problems. My sister bought one a few months back and that had slipped slates which got picked up and they did a deal with the seller but it didn't put them off. Cost for that one was 4K to remove slates put on breather membrane, re-roof with the existing slates and replace as many as needed with re-claimed ones. looks exactly like the old roof just more level

Bloody hell John! He was only really asking if no felt means a new roof, you're practically telling him he's got doodlebug damage! If it ain't broke.....

Go on holiday with your 5 grand and put the remainder into a high interest account as 'roof insurance'

Yes, but, no, but, a Victorian roof is going to be at or near the end of its life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back