New roof slates angled/tilted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, presently getting new roof slates fitted but about half way down they appear to tilt all along (i.e. the slates are flat but the vertical lines are at quite an angle). Uncertain of terminology - so have tried and show graphically - the angle isn't quite far off what is shown below (sorry, had to put the dots in to spread out the sides - supposed to show just 2 of the many affected slates side by side!).

Top half of roof slates look like:
---------------
|.......|........|
|.......|........|
|.......|........|
---------------

Bottom half look like:
------------------
\...........\.........\
.\...........\.........\
..\...........\.........\
...-------------------

Questions:
1) Is this typical/common to see this (the original slates were not like this and have been looking at all houses down road - all appear OK)
2) Roofers saying possibly due to differences in each slate tile and possible shape of roof - but one roofer mentioned actual guy may not have "strung-it". Would the 'differences' be responsible and what is 'stringing-it'?
3) If not typical should it be relatively easy to remedy (roofers still have apex. and other bits to do but most of roof now slated.
4) Could the 'angle\sloped-sides' cause water problems in the future, or any other issues, or would it just be cosmetic.
5) To me, the way they now sit it looks like there is something wrong with the roof structure - and possibly to a perspective buyer. In other circumstances would slate tiles looking like this indicate roof problems.

Apart from this the roofing team have done excellent work, so any advice on above much appreciated so I can discuss as amicably as possible (and know I am not being too picky).

Sponsored Links
A string line is (can be) used for aligning a row of slates. Each slate is fitted down to your straight string line, thus ensuring they're all straight.

Sponsored Links
The above shows the slant.
Also noticed from the image that the slates against the right window have been put on lengthways - would this give enough overlap (dont know terminology - sorry)

Old roof taken off; re-felted (or whatever the membrane is), new flashings, new fascia’s/suffixes, new batons and new slate.

They are slate and a half not slate put on lengthways.

I cannot understand how such uniformly cut slate can be so untidy, IMHO.

The slate is Cupa Natural.

Regarding the ones being 1.5 times a normal slate - all the slates were the same size. As far as I could tell.

Back to the original question - should they be re-layed (roofers still have a couple of days work and top riges (again dont know terminology) nor the edges of roof have been 'sealed' yet. And if re-layed how easy would it be (e.g. do the tiles have to come off all the way up?)

Untidy does not mean its wrong.

I stand by those being slate and a half, but, if they are not then its wrong and needs redoing.

OK, thank you TerryPin for your replies.
I will check viz the 1.5 times (the other windows don't have these) but what you say makes sense - fingers crossed.

In order to correct the lower off-set ones would ALL the slates have to come off all the way up or can they just re-do the wonky ones - allbiet all the way along.

The bonding is untidy and a little off in places which is down to either lack lustre laying or a lack of pride in workmanship.

It's your call on what you want to do next and how the roofer/builder reacts to your suggestion.

One question(ok, more than one), was it a roofer or your builder that did the roof? I suspect builder, am I right?

I cannot comment further as I don't have the luxury of seeing the roof in the flesh, so to speak.

Hi,

No - it was a roofing company (going for quite a lot of years where we are and a good reputation). Though they have quite a few guys working on the roof can't say if it was one of their roofers or a contractor.

It was pointed out (the slates not being strait) by a.n.other at the time. It appears that the unevenness stops in-line at the top of the front dormer then they appear strait. So possibly they were not cutting the angles for the gully correctly and/or once pointed out the slates go strait.

Can slates in the middle of a roof be removed or do you need to go all the way up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back