New roof slates angled/tilted

You can take slates from any part of a roof to repair, if it's a new roof that would not be acceptable to me as a paying customer.

Also note the unequal spacing between individual slates.

As previously stated, it is more untidy than using incorrect methods, the functionality probably hasn't(hopefully) been compromised.

Sponsored Links
You must have had the trainee's on your roof because that cannot be the standard of a long established roofing firm.

They're not so much leaning to one side/squint, rather the "brick bond" is off. Further up the roof every other row is in line, but towards the bottom they're uneven and offset. I wouldn't be a happy camper if it was my new roof with new slates.

To be honest, I would not pay a penny for this until it is sorted out properly. If they are a quality firm they would want to put this right. I would get the boss out to see this for himself. I am certain he will not be pleased with what he sees. It looks very much like someone who doesn't know what they are doing has started putting the slates on and then someone who does has taken over. If the roof had been struck out with a stringline then the slates would be in straight rows and look completely uniform. A qualified roofer would strike it out. There is no excuse for this roof to look like that. You have spanish slates on your roof which will never sit as flat as welsh slates but they should be straight. I would ask that the slates all be taken off and put on again. Hopefully the lathes and felt are okay. If the roofing firm are members of a trade body such as the NFRC then you could contact them as they vet the work carried out by their members. Hopefully it won't come to that and the boss will do the decent thing.

The problem you can face is that in my experience when I go to look at a problem with someones roof and I find one thing wrong with it, there are invariably other things wrong with it. I wish you luck.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Got a call from boss-man yesterday morning (I leave v.early for work but had txt'd him over weekend), said he was stood outside house and it was totally unacceptable. Assured me he would now stay on-site and have roof re-tiled by other roofers.

Got back yesterday evening and the boss spent some time discussing it with me and ensuring I was happy with the slate and some other bits and pieces. He also appologised that work may over-run a day. Roof now looks fab (not the perfect symmetry of a new roof, but looks a bit aged with character - just how wanted it).

Thanks for all the honest comments and pointers (exactly what I wanted before I approached the boss-man in-case things went a bit awkward).

He managed to get a new company down to the site, a price agreed and the work started and finished on the same day?

Nope - think he has several roofers and labourers on a number of jobs.

He was fairly blunt and said he gave roofer a boll*&^ing, took him off this job and brought in a.n.other. Neighbour having bits done on roof also and said two guys and the boss up their all day yesterday taking it up and re-laying (apparently used a wooden batton to get lines straight).

Guessing, as I think was mentioned, original guy just not paying attention (or blindfolded)

As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters, as well as it not leaking, of course. ;)

Good result.

Hats off to your builder for not trying to BS you and getting it rectified so quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back