Felxible tap connectors not sealing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just tried to use flexi connectors with taps on a new basin but they are leaking at the tap end. They come with a red plasticy washer which looks a bit ineffective, and I have screwed it as tight as I can. As I sit in the office here, can you advise whether I just need a bigger washer, to use some plumber mait, or am I missing the point somehow?

The flexi is screwed onto the bottom of the tap pillar, the other end having the service valve wotsit.

You can tell I'm not a plumber, can't you?

Sponsored Links
Have just tried to use flexi connectors with taps on a new basin but they are leaking at the tap end. They come with a red plasticy washer which looks a bit ineffective. As I sit int he office here, can you advise whether I just need a bigger washer or am I missing the point somehow?

The flexi is screwed onto the bottom of the tap pillar, the other end having the service valve wotsit.

You can tell I'm not a plumber, can't you?

Yes, I can :)

There, I said it, but we do all have to start somewhere, and you've done the right thing by asking for advice rather than just 'hitting it harder' :)

How tight did you do the flexi's onto the tap?

Which tool did you use?

Are the tap tail and flexi nut both metal, or plastic?

Both the tail and the end of the flexi are metal. I used a long basin wrench to get up under the sink and screw it on hard.

I did use some ptfe tape on the thread - maybe I need to re-do that as well.

The PTFE may be what's causing the problem, it's not needed on flexiconns as there is a washer to seal the joint.

If either part is plastic then only a rubber washer will work (in my experience).

If both parts are metal the hard fibre washer usually works ok, it does need to be done up quite tight though. If you've put lots of PTFE on the threads you may not be able to do the nut up far enough to properly compress the washer.

If you're still having trouble once the PTFE is out, you can buy some rubber washers.

Alternatively, a very light smear of water hawk or similar, on both sides of the washer often helps, although I have no idea whether this is recommended practice or not :oops:

Sponsored Links
Well, I tried removing the tap from the basin so I could get better access to test my connection. I CAN seal the connection, but only by using extreme force to screw the connector onto the tap pillar. Surely summat is wrong in order that I need to use extreme force to make a seal?

methinks the flexi is not right for the tap......

I had similar problems with the sealing washers not being a good enough fit to the face of the threaded connector I was connecting to. This was because the original plumber had used standard compression fittings which have a tapered seat for an olive rather than a decent square end face for a sealing washer. The tapered end cuts down the edge of the washer and misses making a good seal even thought the fitting feels tight.

Cured by finding some fittings that had good square ends and better washers.

Ok I will try some different washer types. The flexis are B&Q 15mm-1/2" tap connectors, which come with hard red washers. Tried some more rubbery ones to no avail. Will also try to dig out some old flexis - I rarel;y throw old stuff away!

Well after trying several washer designs, found one that worked. Hurrah.

Thanks to all for their help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back