fence blown down

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, i have looked at other topics and they have been helpful. the dividing fence has been blown down, posts are on my side, not marked on deeds although previous owner marked fence on right as ours and fence on left as neighbours responsibility. neighbour says the convention is with a slated fence the side that effectivley looks like the back(my side) of the fence is your responsibility

anyone know this as being true, just want to make sure before I proceed to insurance claim etc, thanks for any reply

Sponsored Links
Normally, looking out from the back of the house, on the left in theory is yours and the post on your side but it's now becoming a grey area :!:

My fence panels that belong to me is on the right which didn't belong to anybody so I've claimed it and put it in on my deeds which you can after 12yrs :!:

Like I say, it can be a headache :!:

Thermo might know more than me being a landscaper

cheers Masona, ever heard of the suggestion that the back of the fence is the one you have to look after, cheers

Sponsored Links
the old convention used to be if it was your fence then you got the backside of it, so in a garden you normally had a fence facing each way. These days however, most people think if thye are paying for it they want the good side so that kind of sends it out the window!

thanks for reply thermo, concrete supports are on my side, does this make it my fence as it looks like it was erected from my side of the property/

Yes and no :LOL:

Best to look at your property deeds, if there's no details on the plan, you can claim it via the solicitor

sounds about right, but i would speak to your neighbour on the other side too, otherwise you may find out that they think you own both of them.

it always makes me laugh when i go to quote on jobs and people say oh the neighbour definetly says its my fence. Soon as you start doing the job, out they pop trying to give instructions about the fence and the boundary. i just point out that the fence is the clients, im working for them and theyre paying for it so it goes how they want.

thank thermo, good suggestion, i will ask

masona, what do you mean by claim it via the solicitor?

dk3 said:
masona, what do you mean by claim it via the solicitor?
If there is no information on the deeds who own the fence panels or the boundary line then you can claim it, I now think it's 6 yrs, I'm not up to date on this one, maybe best to pop down to your local free advice from CAB first or you could ask here

I think you need the solicitor to update the deeds & the land registry, I can't remember now as it was sometime ago when I did mine.

any ideas on how much a fence should cost to replace. 80ft approx, had a quote of £1000

sorry, dont know enough terms, basically a 6ft high 10 panel fence(80ft) with full height concrete supportsat each join of the panels

please note forum rule 9

fence panels are cheap and nasty get a prorper fence, will last for years.

mate had concrete spurs and slide in panels, wind too high out they pop.(they bend too much)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back