Fence falling apart! Newbie needs help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got major fence issues!

I'm not really experienced in building but am smart enough that with a bit of direction can probably do the job...I think. Anyway, back fence of a terraced house has been battered for years and is being held by 2x4 braces and rope! lol

My back fence door recently nearly came apart in 2 pcs due to latest strong winds (we get hit with strong winds 5-6 times per year). I don't think my poor fence will last another strong wind.

I've photoshopped some photos to hopefully help give an idea of the fence condition. I hope they make sense as I've added text and arrows to illustrate my issues. I hope my photo album shows up!

I went to B&Q and bought 3 - 3x3 inch posts, 6' tall and some 1" x 4" boards that would act as the horizontal "braces"(?) and some metal footings(?)

My main issue, aside from wondering if I have the right materials, is that my back garden slopes down (left to right) and away (towards back alley) so the brackets wouldn't be level. I bought some "shims" to help level the brackets out.

Brackets are like these - http://www.diy.com/departments/metpost-steel-post-support-w75mm-d75mm/38268_BQ.prd

Can anyone please give me advice as to:

1) Are the brackets and 3x3 by 6' posts going to be sturdy enough? I was going to use 1" x 4" or 1" x 6" boards (either B&Q or Wickes)

2) Would I need 4x4x6' posts instead? Please remember, we get some strong winds several times per year

3) What about the slope down and away? How would I level out the brackets so the fence posts were vertical, etc?

4) The door may be tricky too because I was going to use the old hinge for the new door I planned on building.

5) The fence is over 9' long and I was going to use 3 posts to make it secured as opposed to using the old hinges.

Sorry for writing so much. Didn't know how else to communicate all my questions.

Cheers

Scott

OK - couldn't get album to show, will post images below:

Sponsored Links
Welcome Scott!
Personally I find those Metpost sockets are fine for bolting down onto solid concrete, if yours is in good nick.
You should get a good fixing into those brick piers, as a starting point.
4"x4" posts will always be better, especially in the centre run of the fence.
Keep the arris rails level, then cut your fencing planks to follow the contour of the yard
John :)

Hi John,

Wow, that was quick, thanks! :)

Thank you for the welcome too!

Yes, it "seems" the concrete is fine. I assume that because it seems to go nearly 1 foot out toward the cobblestone alley beyond my gate so hopefully it'll be OK. I guess I'll drill into it and find out.

Few more of questions if you don't mind:[/b]

1) What are "brick piers"? Do you mean the vertical pebble-dashed columns at either end of my fence, or?

2) OK, so should I go back to B&Q and swap my 3x3s for 4x4 posts? I was thinking the same so I'm happy to hear that's recommended. I worry due to the winds as we live right on the coast and there's a big 8-story building that the wind seems to whip around and hit our fence hard.

3) Sorry, by "arris rails" do you mean the horizontal boards I will add between the 3 posts? If so, keeping them level makes sense.

4) At Wickes (forgot to look at B&Q) they had some 2.4m 1" x 4" boards I think. Would you go with those and cut the tops according to the slope (so to speak) so that it appears level at the top? I think that's what my current fence does as the boards get taller as you go down the slope.

Also, would you recommend 1x4 or 1x6 inch boards? Or does it matter?

5) Finally, I bought some plastic shims from B&Q. Would that be sufficient to level the metpost sockets so the 4x4 posts are vertical and if so, should I later cover the gaps under the sockets with concrete? Never used concrete but will give it a go if advised.

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions! :)

Cheers

Yes Scott the brick piers are at the left and right of the old fence......they look to be in pretty sound condition, so any post should fix well to them.
It wouldn't have to be a 4x4 post onto the piers, it may be easier for you to use a 4x3 or even 4x2, keeping the 4" face flat against the brick.
I don't consider 3" posts with any fence of that height.....fine for decorative garden stuff but that's about it.
The arris rails are the horizontals that link the posts, the stronger they are means less movement when the fence is done.
The fence needs to be level at the top, and the boards cut to length to suit the yard floor, if you see what I mean......the tops can be pointed, curved or whatever to suit you. The wider the board the more likely it is to cup (warp) with the weather.
You can level the Metsockets with plastic shims or steel washers - which ever is the easiest for you. Stop water getting in under the Metsocket with silicone if the gap is small, or sand and cement if the gap is large.
The Metsockets are bolted down with Rawlbolts, so you'll need the correct hammer drill and drill bit.
As for the brick piers, you can fix your posts to them with Rawlbolts again, or large frame fixers.....There's lots of alternatives out there!
Hope your project goes well - arm yourself with a good spirit level and a string line to help with the middle post(s).

Sponsored Links
John, you're awesome!

That's excellent advice! Thank you so much. :)

OK, will take your suggestions and give this a go. Everything you said makes sense and fit with some of my own intuition but I never thought to secure the end posts to the brick piers. Obviously that make sense!

Great, looking forward to doing this now lol. Just needed a little reassurance and some invaluable tips which you've given me.

Thanks again and I hope to post some pics soon (assuming I don't muck it all up lol)

Cheers

Scott

Wishing you well, Scott!
The only real issues may be with the rawlbolts......the drilled hole must be clean and exactly the correct diameter and depth for them to work properly -they don't like expanding more than they were designed for. You can hire heavy duty drills if you don't have your own.
If you have problems with the Metsocket fixings, I guess it's hole digging time!
Be lucky

Scott

Burnerman has given good advice.

I advise the use of large stainless steel washers under the bolt holes to level the Metsockets - they won't crack/fall apart like plastic shims might. Don't rush setting the metsockets in place - aim to get the posts absolutely vertical so it looks neater. Getting the posts in the metsockets before final levelling and screw down may help.

Rather than expansion rawl bolts I'd use something like these...
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/bolts/cat840086#category=cat6530001

They don't put so much stress on the concrete but definitely need correct size drill bit and ideally a socket and wrench to tighten.

I strongly advise drilling a small test hole in the concrete first to check how thick it is. No fixing is going to hold up a fence that high if the concrete is thin or crumbly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back