Fence ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Iam not very good in the garden but need to put up a new fence as the last one blew down as it wasnt put up very well. My garden is 4.7 meters long, ive been to B&Q and looked at the fence panels and i would need two and abit.But the bit part is were iam getting stuck. I have thought about getting three posts and concreting them in and just putting bambo screening across, but not sure if it would stand upto a battering from the weather.

Just looking for some ideas as iam not very good with wood and gardening.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you concrete the posts in well they will withstand the wind. panels might not. an open-weave panel like bamboo will let some wind through, and this reduces wind pressure on the panel.

concrete posts are heavier and more expensive than wooden ones, but stronger and last much longer.

Thanks John,if i use concrete posts, any clues how i will fix the bamboo screening to them? Can you drill into them for a fixing?

Thanks

not really.

i have some bamboo screening, its tied with gardening wire at several points top, half middle, lower down, bottom.

the wire goes through the screening and round the post. been there for about 2 years now

Sponsored Links
I'd say you can drill into the post with a sharp bit, and not too close to the edge....

But are they slotted posts? If they are, you need offset panels (to reduce the wind effect).

Otherwise, if they are just standard concrete posts, they will have bolt holes in.... then use these to fix to.

What about just doing ranch type fencing with cheap sarking (150x15mm) or maybe a bit thicker if you want it sturdier?

I'm maybe calling it by the wrong name, but you put one plank on one side of the post and then the other plank on the opposite side of the post and so on.

Hi All,
... the bit part is were iam getting stuck. I have thought about getting three posts and concreting them in and just putting bambo screening across, but not sure if it would stand upto a battering from the weather.

Do you actually want bamboo, or is it just because of the part panel?
It's not difficult to create a shorter panel from a bog-standard 6 foot lap panel one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back