Fence Knot Hole Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The fence at the back of the house has a dozen or so knot holes. Which i'd like to repair as they are at eye level and just peeping holes.

It's a wooden fence put up by the home builders.

Once filled the fence will be painted / preserved

One idea i had thinking that it might take on which ever stain better is to Temp fix something on one site of the hole. Make a mixture of wood glue and saw dust and use that as a filler

But i'm not sure how that would behave / react to to the weather

So looking for suggestions which will be as natural as possible one stained

Wood Filler ?

Thanks

Nadeeem

Sponsored Links
any flush repair has a 50/50 chance off lasting more than 1 year
a flush repair that looks nice has probably a 25% chance off lasting more than a year

the only way you will find out is by trial and error

something like a 2 part filler may be best

my suggestion is to make the "plug" about 5mm thicker on both sides then taper in flush about 10mm beyond the the edge so you have a disc 20mm bigger and 10mm thicker tapering all round untill flush with the wood no step but enough lip to hold in place

Try Isopon P40 fibre glass filler, other makers have equivalent at a reduced price.
Score the contact area timber well with a knife or hacksaw blade. Force filler into holes, allow to harden, sand and primer. You will have to paint I'm afraid.

Do a test piece (including painting) first and leave it to weather, see what you think.

Mixing sawdust, I'm not sure ..........

https://www.google.ie/search?q=isop...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back