Fence Post Bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm sure I'm being extremely simple but I've got these fence posts
http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co.uk/images/bolt-down-supports-fence-post-75x75mm.jpg
and I've got them bolted down into concrete but when I put the post in and try to tighten the bolt at the top, it's very tight and the nut won't turn anymore, the whole bolt just turns. Is there a way I can keep the bolt still which will allow me to turn the nut? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
there should be a rectangular head on the bolt which should jam against the socket to prevent it turning. Perhaps yours is out of place or faulty, or maybe it has been damaged, for example if the post is too small and the socket is fully tightened but the post is too loose.

Consider cutting it off and fitting an ordinary nut and bolt so you use a spanner at each end. Or maybe in your case the socket already has such a bolt.

It looks like the problem is with the nut, it's threaded but then there's like a hard plastic section that prevents it from turning anymore. All 6 I have are the same, why would it be like that if I obviously need to tighten it on the bolt more than the width of the nut!

Or is the bolt meant to just go in as a token piece, not to actually do much. And then are you meant to tighten it up in some other way? Because if you put the 4x4 post in it's pretty loose so something's not right!

the "plastic section" is to grip the bolt to stop it coming loose.

Google "nyloc"

If the bolt is rotating while you try to tighten the nut, then the head of the bolt must be help firm. What shape is the head of the bolt?

Sponsored Links
It's hexagonal. It just feels like its going to go absolutely no further but it obviously must because there's loads more thread on the bolt. I tried holding that end with a spanner one way and then turning the nut the other way with another spanner with no luck!

It's hexagonal. It just feels like its going to go absolutely no further but it obviously must because there's loads more thread on the bolt. I tried holding that end with a spanner one way and then turning the nut the other way with another spanner with no luck!

If you are holding the bolt head with a spanner then the bolt cannot be rotating as you said earlier.

If the bolt has a hex head then you must hold it with a spanner while tightening the nut. It is not expected to be finger-tight.

What sort of spanners are you using?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back