Fence Post depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am putting up a picket style fence this weekend. I am using 100mm x 100mm posts.

I want the fence to be a metre tall and have ordered 1.5 metre posts allowing 500mm under the surface. I am using postmix to secure them.

Will the 500mm underground be enough? I was working on the rule two thirds of the post above ground and one third under, but I have since read that I should have 600mm underground??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
500mm is enough considering it is a picket fence.

Make sure the hole you are putting the posts in is about minimum 400mm diameter.

That should be more than enough, especially as it is low and not solid panels - that makes a hell of a difference to the forces at play.

That is spot on Block. You want two thirds above ground level and one third below as a general measure of thumb.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

Can anyone sort out some sunshine for me to work in at the weekend too?:cool:

I have just organised it for you ........ Go to the Sahara and I have guaranteed the . Tell them IMK sent you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back