Fensa ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to have some windows replaced at my place and ive been recommended a local bloke. My friend said he was down on work and has a family and after meeting him a would like to put the work his way. He's worked for several local double glazing companies and I got the impression he knew his stuff. Problem is that I asked him if he was Fensa registered and he said he was'nt. He stated that it was'nt important and we could get round it by saying the windows were in when I moved. Now my head is saying stay clear and get a larger company in. Is this a wiser option? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't have to be FENSA registered (or similar) to put in windows, but if not you should go through Building Control. If you don't you could have problems when you come to sell. Now the property is yours it doesn't matter if someone before you did the work, it's down to you.

“It wasn’t me that installed it guv” is pretty poor advice from someone who is supposed to be a friend :rolleyes: ! It’s got nothing to do with weather or not the fitter is any good, he may be the best in the country but you won’t know that until after the window is in; & if it’s a total carp job, then what!

As Stuart says, all you are doing is storing up problems for yourself in the future & if the windows are date marked (as most of them are!) you’ll look a bit of a t wat when the date doesn’t tie in with your lie! It’s perfectly feasible to DIY or get your own fitter in, notify & go though BC to get the certificate of compliance you’ll need later but the fee is the same (about £70 I think) if it’s one window or 20. For a single window, it’s not worth the hassle IMO & it could even end up costing you more money &, of course, you won’t have a warranty either.

I got the impression he knew his stuff. Problem is that I asked him if he was Fensa registered and he said he was'nt. He stated that it was'nt important and we could get round it by saying the windows were in when I moved.
If he knew his stuff he would've said go through Building Control, you need to be sure that what he provides, if you use him, will comply for it will be you left with problem if it turns out it does'nt as he'll likely suddenly become unavailable!

Sponsored Links
You could pay the £80 or so (or knock it off the quote) and make a building notice application for the windows.

But TBH, if he knows his stuff, and does a good job, then I'd just let him do the windows.

Thousands of people just fit windows without FENSA companies or building control involvement with no problems at all. Its very difficult to prove when the windows were fitted, and its just not worth the trouble investigating at sale time. It really is a non-issue.

If the actual installation is done badly, then you still have redress against the fitter, and this is totally separate to FENSA or the council's [non] involvement

I think that you are doing the right thing in trying to help out the smaller trader.

Just ensure the terms are covered - payment, what will be done, what specification you want etc. Also you could get references or have a look at previous work. After he has fitted the first window, you will have a good idea about what to expect

as has been covered many times before, FENSA don't have anything to do with workmanship or warranties, just a scheme to enable window fitters to self certify their windows have the right type of glass, etc;
if you trust the guy and want to use him - ascertain the current building reg requirements (ask your local council building control), check the glass stickers etc; and to be double sure agree that he will be paid when the building control officer has signed them off.
there are FENSA firms that do bad jobs and they (FENSA) will not help you sort it out.

as has been covered many times before, FENSA don't have anything to do with workmanship or warranties, just a scheme to enable window fitters to self certify their windows have the right type of glass, etc;
if you trust the guy and want to use him - ascertain the current building reg requirements (ask your local council building control), check the glass stickers etc; and to be double sure agree that he will be paid when the building control officer has signed them off.
there are FENSA firms that do bad jobs and they (FENSA) will not help you sort it out.

Don’t get me wrong; FENSA (or the new kid on the block) are not the “be all & end all” & they are usually about as much use a chocolate ashtray in a dispute! It’s the “compliance certificate” that’s all important & it doesn’t matter which route you go as long as you get one. Sometime it’s easier for the inexperienced to go the FENSA (or equivalent) route & my preference would always be a small, independent local firm to the large nationals who seem to have an uncanny knack of getting it wrong!

always always use a company who is fensa registered, yes u may save money with a local guy who may have worked for bob the builder etc, however paying that little bit extra saves u alot of worry, you cant sell your house unless you have a fensa certificate or similar.

a couple of very important things to consider when buying double glazing

how long has the company been open?
have you checked them out properly like on companies house, check that they don't repeatedly go out of business
are they a member of a trade association eg guild of master craftsmen or federation of master builders would would mediate if any conflict with work did occur?
do they take a deposit? or stage payments, advice find a company who does not take deposits and pay on completion once you are 100% happy, or a company who takes a very small deposit with deposit insurance
recommendations from freinds and media
seen work they have done
have u had more than 1 quote?
checked out the actual window you will be supplied with VERY IMPORTANT
may sound obvious but it isnt you would be surprised

Its a big decision when considering spending a few grand , but its better to spend a couple hundred pounds extra and a couple of extra weeks making the best decision for you, because the head aches you can end up with can go on and on if its the wrong choice

good luck
:D

always always use a company who is fensa registered, yes u may save money with a local guy who may have worked for bob the builder etc, however paying that little bit extra saves u alot of worry, you cant sell your house unless you have a fensa certificate or similar.

as covered before FENSA membership is not an assurance of quality at all. many small firms that are trusted and high quality will not be FENSA registered but pay the council fee each time.
FENSA is only a self-certification scheme for using the correct type of glass etc; there is much more to the quality of the windows than that.

Bigger company = bigger price and bigger problems.

Membership of FENSA, FMB, GMC, etc is no guarantee of anything .... its all down to how good the fitter is, not how good the sales brochure looks

FENSA is only a self-certification scheme for using the correct type of glass etc; there is much more to the quality of the windows than that.
Don’t disagree on the quality of windows but FENSA registration is supposed to & should mean much more than that. Registration allows the company (not the individual) to warrant that ALL aspects of BR’s relevant to a particular installation have been complied with, not just the glass & manufacture of the windows.

It’s the lesser of evils really; at least by using a FENSA company you will (should!) get a certificate which says his windows & their installation complies even though they may not; it may be meaningless & virtually worthless in the event of problems as neither FENSA or LABC seem to be that interested pursuing complaints about non-compliance. I find it astonishing that their attitude seems to be one of total disinterest when one of their registered companies has made a complete *******s of things & some poor unsuspecting “joe” who trusted the registration procedure & thought it actually meant something is more or less left to fend for himself.

well the building regs relate to - insulation value of glass & frame, exit in case of fire, locations needing safety glass, provision of background ventilation(trickle vents) and structural strength of the opening. have i missed any?
so your FENSA or LABC certficate warrants that these requirements have been adhered to. all the rest is down to the supplier, installer and customer.

well the building regs relate to - insulation value of glass & frame, exit in case of fire, locations needing safety glass, provision of background ventilation(trickle vents) and structural strength of the opening. have i missed any?
so your FENSA or LABC certficate warrants that these requirements have been adhered to.
Think that about covers it although structural integrity & damp insulation, cavity closing etc. of any new openings is subject to separate notification & inspection. It’s also not compulsory to have trickle vents or fire escape windows on direct replacements unless other building works change or worsen existing provision. Some DG companies provide them as a matter of course but others treat them as lucrative little extras to push the price up encouraging salesmen to insist they are required when the only requirement is that you don’t make provision any worse than it was before. Personally, I think they should be compulsory on all new windows & an integral part of their design unless a specific installation makes it impracticable; that would take the onus away from the customer who are generally totally ignorant of what’s required.

all the rest is down to the supplier, installer and customer.

Is that a statement of fact or a question :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back