Fernox boiler buddy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had a fun weekend draining down heating system after discovering filth and sludge in header tank. I bailed out the tank and then drained down and hosed the radiators then filled up and drained down again before filling with inhibitor.

I have a boiler buddy that looks full of sludge so want to clean that also. I know I can isolate it so I don't need to drain down again but can't undo the nuts and also don't have any spare parts as advised in the manual.

Will a plumber clean the buddy as part of a service to save me a job?[/list]

Sponsored Links
He might if you ask him very nicely and he can get the nuts undone without cracking the awful POS that is the boiler buddy.

Personally I would ask him to take it out and fit something decent like the Magnaclean or TF1.

I've heard a few people recommend a magna clean. Would that be an easy swap for the boiler buddy or would that need additional piperwork.

The buddy does look a little flimsy, think I will leave it to the expert. Is it a problem leaving the system running until the buddy gets cleaned?

It probably won't do any harm, although you might get poor circulation.

Pipe work won't need significant altering, but depending on your system it might need a partial drain down.

An hours work... maybe...

Sponsored Links
Talking of poor circulation, I turned the boiler back on after all the work I did. I turned the heating on and put the thermostat up to test the heating.

The boiler fired up, green ignition light came on,.but then turned off after about 20 seconds and. After about 10 minutes the same thing happened, the boiler will not stay lit. This happens with both heating and hot water.

Could this be due to the system still being clogged with sludge or the clogged boiler buddy or a separate issue?

System was power flushed a year ago but look to me like the tank wasn't cleaned which has led to further issues.

The boiler is a Worcester greenstar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back