Fernox TF1 and Weak Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've owned the house for two months. Worcester Bosch 40CDi installed four years ago, 13 rads, detached solid brick Victorian. The boiler was serviced by Help-Link a month ago.

Just over a week ago the rad in the kitchen started working intermittently. It would either turn on in the morning and work for the whole day or stay off. TRV set to 5.

The Help-link guy came over, banged the TRV with his wrench, scratched his head and said we needed a new TRV. He left without changing it as there was no time that day.

Since he left the rad in the kitchen has not worked at all. Also the rad in the laundry room and the rad in the upstairs bathroom became very weak - barely warm. The inlet pipes were hot however. They were working fine before. Other rads downstairs and upstairs have continued to work fine.

I have to admit - this is my first time being responsible for a central heating system and so I had no idea what a magnetic filter was. I did a bit of research about power flushes and sludge and came to the realization that I had a Fernox TF1 Total Filter to catch the sludge and protect the boiler.

Today I cleaned it. There was a lot of sludge in it! It wasn't cleaned when the boiler was serviced a month ago because I was there the whole time and it wasn't touched or mentioned.

Almost immediately the laundry room and upstairs bathroom rads heated back up! Also the kitchen rad has sprung to life although it is weak - warm at top and coldish at bottom. Inlet pipe is hot.

What conclusions can I draw from this? Why would a clogged mag filter cause problems for only three rads out of 13?

Sponsored Links
He had his wrench out hitting a TRV and left it not working? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
He had his wrench out hitting a TRV and left it not working? :rolleyes:

He was running late very late that day so ran out of work hours I guess... anyway I'd like to understand the system better myself so what about the questions I posted?

Thanks, Andy

The filter may have played a part. Is it sealed system or open? How bad was the sludge? Could've just been a simple airlock that you managed to solve in cleaning the filter, the other rad may still be airlocked.

If I remember correctly, the manufacturers of filters always claim that they won't affect flow around the system. Not sure if this still holds true when the filter is full, but anything's possible. If it did increase resistance to flow, it would more likely affect downstairs rads furthest from the pump.

As for your non-working rad - it's the same old advice. Try turning off some or all of the other rads at their TRVs and see what happens to the faulty rad. If it heats up and stays heated up, turn the other rads back on. If it still works, maybe airlock. If it doesn't, rads poss need balancing.

If it doesn't come on at all, try removing the TRVs head and press pin underneath. It should move a few MMs. If it doesn't, it's stuck and the cause of your problem.

If I remember correctly, the manufacturers of filters always claim that they won't affect flow around the system. Not sure if this still holds true when the filter is full, but anything's possible. If it did increase resistance to flow, it would more likely affect downstairs rads furthest from the pump.

As for your non-working rad - it's the same old advice. Try turning off some or all of the other rads at their TRVs and see what happens to the faulty rad. If it heats up and stays heated up, turn the other rads back on. If it still works, maybe airlock. If it doesn't, rads poss need balancing.

If it doesn't come on at all, try removing the TRVs head and press pin underneath. It should move a few MMs. If it doesn't, it's stuck and the cause of your problem.

Not true. Adey claimed that, it isn't true. :evil:

Not true. Adey claimed that, it isn't true. :evil:

What's not true?

It is an open system.

I'm not sure how bad the sludge was - first time with one these filters so I don't know what to compare it to. The plastic tube that covers the magnets was completely covered in sludge several mm thick.

The pin under the TRV moves.

The idiot who put this radiator in obviously decided a lockshield wasn't needed so I guess as far as balancing is concerned - it's fully open. :rolleyes:

To confirm the problem rad is warm at the top and cool at the bottom and the inlet is hot. I will try turning some other TRVs. Thanks.

Andy

It blocks up. Like you say, they claim a flow is always available if it's crudded up 100%. Ah no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back