Fernox TF1 install with Thermal Store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Keen DIY'er here. By no means an expert.

I am planning to install a Fernox TF1 (the metal one) on my old system. Having flushed the system (drained, refilled, treated) several times approx 5 years ago (system is 22 years old) I know that it is due to be done again. Easy enough.

I received a RadMag for Christmas (have a Google if not seen one of these - fits inside towel rad) and it picks up loads of magnetic sludge within a day. Even picked up a 10mm bur. So clearly plenty within the system to be extracted. Hence I want to fir the TF1 next time I drain the system.

I know that the ideal location is on the return (to the boiler) just after the last radiator.

I have no space at all near the boiler. Both pipes are very short (not a condenser) and go straight into the ceiling. No way I can get any filter near the boiler.

I have a heat store and I (think) I have worked out the best location available to me but wanted to bounce my thinking off those in the know, please.

Please see the attached picture (upstairs cupboard).

The Red pump on the left is labelled HEAT Pump and I believe that circulates water from the heat store around the radiators. That circuit would be good for the filter but the pipes are very short and almost flush with the floor. No can do.

If I understand correctly, the same water is also pumped to the the boiler via the blue pump on the right. The blue pump appears to be on the return to the boiler. This pipe is cool until a while there is a call for heating and the boiler kicks in.

I have also been referencing the diagram on https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/flowmax-140-thermal-store-feed-expansion-tank-full-of-steaming-hot-water.447567

The horizontal pipe just after the blue pump seems ideal for adding the TF1. My questions are:

1) Have I got that right?

2) It's the same water so I should eventually pick up the magnetic sludge from the rads (at least the mobile stuff) ?

3) It's just of the picture at the end of that horizontal pipe there is a bleed valve. when I open that and catch some of the water, it is quite clear. Probably because the valve is on a short vertical and I am only opening it a little bit, so the magnetite is not "flowing" but just makes me wonder if I have got this correct?

I'm ignoring all of the pipes up the middle of the heat store as I assume that they are all related to tap water (I know that works and not sludge related).

As usual, any advice is gratefully received.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
If your store is direct (IE the boiler circulates the water in the cylinder rather than heating it via a coil) then the best place for your filter is in the return to the boiler (the item most likely to suffer expensive damage due to particles).
You can fit it in the return from the rads if you want to- it'll still trap corrosion products from the rads.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a TF1 so I could easily flush the heating system before I commissioned a couple of newly installed UFH heating loops, makes the job very easy if you buy the adaptor

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back