Ferroli F30 Combi boiler not working after draining CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I drained our CH system yesterday to install some new rads & valves upstairs (though I didn't manage to drain it all as there's a loop going downstairs that doesn't have a draincock on it). The hot water was fine in the evening but this morning there wasn't any :( Now, if you run the HW tap nothing happens, though if you leave the tap running and turn the boiler off and on again it briefly fires before turning itself off again. I've read that some combis won't give hot water with the CH drained but it looks to be on a completely separate system, plus I had hot water last night so I don't think that is the case.

I've tried refilling the CH system and turning on the heating and again, the boiler fires up briefly and then turns itself off after a few seconds. The low pressure light is blinking (even when the pressure was over 1 bar) and to be honest I think it's done that since we've been in the house (about a year) anyway and although I've occasionally topped the system up it's never been a problem.

We've got a Ferroli F30 boiler (manual's here - http://www.aroundtownflats.com/manuals/Boilers/Ferroli/F30.pdf) which is probably about 8 years old.

Any advice/tips much appreciated - my wife wants me to call someone ASAP but I'd rather have an idea of what might be wrong before being fleeced!

Cheers

Jamie

Sponsored Links
See being a Ferroli man I was gonna tell u the issue. But the last line does it for me. Why would you be fleeced? you have to pay for what u dont know just like I do? Being fleeced is going to the vet, or a soloicitor, or an insolvency agency? Paying £50-70 to have your heating back on is not being fleeced.

Ah, sorry, I didn't mean it like that, it's just that I've been stung before (not by plumbers I might add) and I guess I'm like everyone else in that I'd like to know myself what was going on (every day's a school day...). I understand your point of view though, sorry for any offence.

Cheers

OK First choice would be pressure sensor second blocked capilary in the guage. Its water not gas so u can play - remove the 2 leads from the press switch & join together with a paper clip (Low volts not 240!) boiler should fire & run. If it does let it run for 30 secs then switch off. the boiler F&R cocks will be siezed or will leak if u touch them. but u need to drain the boiler remove the switch & see if u can clean it. It will be full of black manganite. replace top up & retry. The switch is about 20-25. Dont get water on the PCB.
Get a Ferroli bloke out off the website. Its 75 + parts. :http://www.ferroliservicecare.com/

If u look closely this is not Ferroli!

Sponsored Links
I guess that's the trouble with wanting to know what's going on...when someone is kind enough to tell you (thank you!) you haven't a clue what they're talking about.

When you say the pressure sensor do you mean the low water pressure cut off switch? And I don't think I know what you mean by the F&R cocks either I'm afraid.

I think I'm close to calling someone off that website!

Cheers again, I can't thank you enough

looks like you have air in the boiler. Simple solution is to remove cover, look for red and black "dial/knob", turn or lift it gentle to dump out a bit of water and air from system, then refill central heating. Give that a try. The guy i'm working with at the moment does this as standard when draining andinstalling new rads. It removes any troublesome air from boiler.

looks like you have air in the boiler. Simple solution is to remove cover, look for red and black "dial/knob", turn or lift it gentle to dump out a bit of water and air from system, then refill central heating. Give that a try. The guy i'm working with at the moment does this as standard when draining andinstalling new rads. It removes any troublesome air from boiler.

I think you mean a PRV and if its the problem that ECO has said this will probably not seat properly again and thus cause the OP more problems.... IronNaz i don't usually get involved in your ramblings i know your not qualified but maybe stick to what it is you know and stop giving possibly adding costs to the OP

Hi all, many thanks for all the advice - I'll be giving it a go tomorrow evening so any further tips in the meantime are greatly appreciated. We'll just have to cope with cold showers until then!

I think you mean a PRV and if its the problem that ECO has said this will probably not seat properly again and thus cause the OP more problems.... IronNaz i don't usually get involved in your ramblings i know your not qualified but maybe stick to what it is you know and stop giving possibly adding costs to the OP

I'm only advising based on what I have seen done repeatedly over the months by the guys I am working with who have been in the trade for decades.

Run the hot water with the heating drained out. Baa Baa :eek:

WARNING !

The low pressure switch on many boilers is at mains 240v !

A paperclip is not a good way to test if they are failed. A test meter is the correct way.

If you must short it out then use insulated wire. Thats only for a temporary test and not a repair.

Tony

Hi all,

Many thanks for the feedback, I haven't had a chance to put any of it into practice yet so if anyone else has got any advice it's much appreciated, hopefully I won't kill myself in the process! ;)

Cheers

I think you have already had enough free advice from those whom you expect to fleece you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back