Ferroli Falcon2/Modena water not hot enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ferroli 2 boiler which I think is also known as a Modena 80e. The problem is the hot water is not hot enough if the taps are run at what would be considered normal speed. If bath or shower taps are fully on for heat it will start running very hot then end up lukewarm. If I turn the taps down then it will be hot enough but takes forever to run a bath and the shower is just too weak to get a decent shower. Its only happened this year.

I have changed the hot water thermistor but it hasnt made a difference. When the boiler fires up for hot water it runs smoothly and doesnt cut out, the water just doesnt get hot enough. the temp setting for the water is also up high too. The heating works fine and the rads get very warm.

What else can I check myself.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
you need to check what your HW flow rate is when the tap is fully open, it is very easy just get a container that you know the volume of say it holds 10L and it takes 1 min to fill then the flow rate is 10L/min probably wont be a 10L container but you get the idea, then let us know what the flow rate is set at

you need to check what your HW flow rate is when the tap is fully open, it is very easy just get a container that you know the volume of say it holds 10L and it takes 1 min to fill then the flow rate is 10L/min probably wont be a 10L container but you get the idea, then let us know what the flow rate is set at

Hi, thanks for helping.

I have used a container in the bath and full on hot tap (but only giving lukewarm water) was 14 litres a minute. Tap on lower but giving right temp for a bath was 8 litres a minute. I measured them a few times to check it was fairly accurate.

Thank you

That sounds about right the manu instructions state 9.5L/Min @35 degree rise so 14 far too much and 8 with the incoming temp at this time of year would be about right, you just need to adjust the flow rate Im afraid, that is how your boiler works

You measure the temp of the cold water coming in to your boiler and @ 9.5L/min it will increase by 35 degrees so at this time of year the final product would only be about 40-42 hence why you have to slow it to 8L/min to get that extra few degrees will flow a bit faster in the summer as the incoming water temp increases

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right the manu instructions state 9.5L/Min @35 degree rise so 14 far too much and 8 with the incoming temp at this time of year would be about right, you just need to adjust the flow rate Im afraid, that is how your boiler works

You measure the temp of the cold water coming in to your boiler and @ 9.5L/min it will increase by 35 degrees so at this time of year the final product would only be about 40-42 hence why you have to slow it to 8L/min to get that extra few degrees will flow a bit faster in the summer as the incoming water temp increases

Hi thank you. Do you mean I need to adjust the flow rate on the boiler or just adjust it on the taps and wait for the weather to get warmer. Sorry for the extra question.

Thank you

easiest way is to open the bath tap fully then adjust the flow of water from the cold inlet valve below the boiler until you have the correct flow as already said you should be able to increase this a bit in the warmer months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back